This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Backing up for reinstall

josweet

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44:50 pm

Im upgrading from Zorin os7 to Zorin 0s8 & will format the disc, make partitions for a dual boot win7 PC. I know Win7 but im still a noob when it comes to Linux.
Is there a blanket way to back up my personal data in Zorin, or is it the case of drag and drop my Pictures/Music/downloads/desktop ect.. folders one by one onto an ext drive. I would like to also backup my Firefox Bookmarks/passwords (plugins if possible) & anything else that would be reinvent.
EG> in M/S Windows 7 i would just drag and drop the content of "C:\Users\myself" and that would give me everything i would need.
Any help, tips, hints will be appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38:02 pm

Basically, before installing your next version of Zorin, go to '/home' folder and press 'Ctrl+ H' to show all the hidden files. Make a note of which versions of applications you are using as a base install of the next version of Zorin might have different version of Firefox for example - so update everything first, then back up your /home folder after revealing all the hidden '.' files.

https://vimeo.com/85463601

Wolfman

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51:57 pm

Hi,

to keep all your data intact, follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Regards Wolfman :D

josweet

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:58:47 pm

Thankyou :)

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:08:17 am

Hi,

have marked as solved, I hope that is is okay with you!.

Regards Wolfman :D