This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Putting Chrome Icon on desktop

lenberman

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:50:37 am

I undocked Chrome from the taskbar before I realized that I couldn't put a shortcut on the desktop, at least with what I know of Zorin OS 6 LTS. When I go to the start menu and find Chrome it offers a desktop shortcut in the context menu but the icon that is put on the desktop will not open chrome. So I tried to find a way to put the Chrome icon back on the taskbar for a quicklaunch, couldn't figure that one out ether. I would appreciate any help with putting the Chrome bulls-eye icon on the desktop.

Thank you,
Len

Wolfman

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:54:28 am

Hi Len,

open the main menu and click on the icon and drag it to the desktop, it will most likely be white, right click it > Properties > Permissions > Allow Executing; done!.

Open the icon and once it is running, right click the icon in the panel > Pin to panel.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:47:03 pm

Just to add, after adding to panel, edit it to make sure that the command field is complete - if it is not, right click the Zorin Menu Button and select Edit - then go to where Chrome is situated in the Menu pane under Internet - so Chrome will be in the right - right-click it and choose properties - this will show the command (something like 'chrome %U' or similar - copy this across into the command line box of the launcher if nothing present. Put Chrome in the top field. Comment box can be left empty. If icon not showing then:

Computer (file system) | usr | share | icons | hicolor | scalable | applications - search for 'google chrome' or 'gnome-google-chrome'.

lenberman

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:34:51 pm

Thank you, I just came upon Zorin for the first time last week and I have to say that it is a beautiful OS. A question though, What will happen when the support runs out, I installed the LTS version? I am considering upgrading to the paid version, what are the advantages?

Thanks,
Len

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00:19 pm

Just to clarify you have installed Zorin 6? If so support ends as it does for the core distro it is based on (Ubuntu 12.04) which will be April 2017. After that point you may need to back up your data and do a fresh install of the latest version of Zorin.

The principle differences between Core and Ultimate is that you get a lot of packaged softwares to save you looking and installing so everything is present after install. I don't have a working install yet of 6 as I deleted it to get Windows 8 on the machine as I foolishly installed the preview of 8 at the end of the drive (just for a laugh really! :D ) As I support people with computers I need to keep abreast of most systems. Hope this helps! :D

lenberman

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53:38 pm

Thanks for your answer.

Len

Wolfman

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:48:41 am

Hi Len,

have marked as solved okay?.

Regards Wolfman :D