This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] booting zorin from sd card?

crewcab6

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13:36 pm

Hi everyone, im new here. I been on windows for a long time and nothting wrong just i have a little netbook i been using for vehicle programming (preloaded windows 7 starter..verry restricted) Instead of buying a new windows key i figured i woudl try this zorin os. I like what i see but have no clue how to use it or get it to work.

i am using a hp mini 110 netbook, with upgraded 2gb of ram, atom processor .. I have a 4gb sd card that i used to put zorin on (zorin lite 32bit) i used unetbootin as suggested in the instructions and seems to be on the card but no idea how to get to the option to boot via windows or zorin. is there a way to do this? i can open the sd card and see a ton of files but how do i get it to open...dont even know which one to open?

thank you for your help again im new with this

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:04:45 pm

Hi crewcab6 - I too have one of those! The issue is that hp make both the Windows partition and all the others Primary - which equals 4 and the reason why you will not get anywhere installing it! You have to make a decision of what you want to keep and what to get rid of. First off I would burn your recovery DVDS (usually requires 3) and you will need a USB DVD Writer to do this and be sure you have the mains adapter attached to the netbook. After you have created your recovery discs, delete the partition with the software on to create the DVDS - sorry I can't remember which one this is called! If you would care to boot your HP mini with the SD card and post us a screen shot of your Partitions that would be helpful - but as you are running light I don't think it uses GParted but something else. Are you wanting to dual boot or replace Windows starter with Zorin Lite? If you want to replace it entirely with Zorin be sure to back up all your data and any downloaded applications before replacing with Zorin. Your SD Card boot should hopefully have an 'Install to Hard Disk' option when in the desktop - but like I said you will need to make room for it and be sure to change your boot order in the BIOS to boot from SD card - if it recognises it as boot medium in the first place - I have only used a memory stick on the netbook running UE 2.7.

crewcab6

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34:16 pm

hi great thanks for the reply, currently i am at work so cant try any of this yet. But good point i will try and save what i got on the computer now to usb stick or external hd . I really want to have the choice to use either windows or zorin. I heard you can do this. when i used unetbootin it asked me for wich usb drive to burn the zorin os6 to and i saw that my "g" drive was there (where my sd card is located) so did that and then told me i could restart my computer and then seem like it could just boot up.....easy right? I was scared so didnt do that i just minimized it down and did a reboot.

once in reboot i pushed esc for boot options..and didnt see any other option but windows 7 so i guess it didnt work (sd card was in) I thought i could change the priority of the boot but have no idea wich option points to the sd card "g" drive. See im really a newbie at this so i know enough to mess something up but not how to fix it if I do.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48:38 pm

Hi crewcab6, what you need to do is to pess 'Esc' Key to launch BIOS then press F9 to choose boot order - if the SD card is listed it should show up as SD or USB-HDD - not sure, never tried booting with an SD-Card but can't imagine it would not be too different - just a case of whether your HP would recognise the SD-Card as a boot device - don't worry about Windows being affected. When you boot with memory stick or sd card it is just the same as running Zorin 'live' in DVD tray - the only down side of it being that you won't be able to save any work to your '/home' drive unless you created an SD card with 'persistence' - this means that any documents etc you create and save to your /home folder will still be there the next time you boot off the SD-card/Thumb drive.

If you intend to dual boot then follow my guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Hope this helps! :D