This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Locked in Gnome2

critter

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12:30 pm

As the title says.. the Applications menu doesn't display. I played with the theme setting, and it looked really good with "Radiance" or whatever that is and the launcher disappeared, along with the notification applet. So, basically I can look at the screen and flip the desktop switcher. :lol:

So, how to launch the Zorin look changer from the terminal? I can do ctrl-alt-T to raise a terminal, but that's about it -- between bouts of desktop switching, of course.. :twisted:

Also, is there a key combo to launch the menu in the various looks? I have a Kinesis which doesn't have a Super/WIndows key, so if that's how then I'll need to assign some other combination..

ALSO, perhaps related, I also tried a "compiz --replace" but the terminal hangs at the end stating that the "text plugin" is missing - which may be why the menu disappears on the bar? or perhaps that's related to something in AWN. At any rate, any assistance to
relieve me from the Gnome2 look prison would be well appreciated.

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:25:55 am

Okay, back into Win7 mode.

the terminal command is 'look-changer'

I've reset all the themes back to the defaults but Gnome2 Look is still broken. Right clicks to get into preferences do not work, and neither does log out or reboot.

The only thing I did was switch themes around. I can change to Gnome2 look normally using the look changer, however, the state remains the same - no applications/places menu, no indicator icons, no right clicks (or left clicks for that matter). It's really pissed off about the theme change. I didn't realize it was so sensitive about its appearance.

So the problem remains except I'm no longer stuck there. How to reset it?

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:27:53 am

Sorry, using ZorinOS 8 Ultimate 32bit. Clean install so nothing else should be interfering with it.

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:01:11 am

Okay, I think I found this one. It was an increased font size. I changed from 10 to 12 and that hosed the Gnome2 look. I reduced the font back and voila, Gnome2 is back and functioning properly.

The other looks seem to work fine with a larger font but not this one. Interesting.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:42:24 am

Hi,

you seem to have this solved now?.

Regards Wolfman :D

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:38:18 pm

Yes, I've escaped the Dungeon of the Gnomes.

(adding this for searchers who may have their ZOS locked in Gnome2 look)..

Increased font size breaks gnome2 look. Some changes in themes also breaks gnome2 look. Chances are that attempts to tweak this look will (eventually) break it.

alt-ctrl-T will launch the terminal. then at the prompt type
Code:
look-changer

choose another look normally and then if you want to use Gnome2, decrease at least the title font back to 10 either using dconf-editor (if you scaled) or using the tweak tool for individual system fonts.
at the menu/system tools/preferences/tweak tool.