This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] XBMC Login option missing

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33:58 am

On first boot after install, there was a little radio box for logging into XBMC as a session. I didn't log into that, but booted into ZOS normally.

On reboot after the initial update, that XBMC ticker is missing and I can only boot into ZOS. How to restore that?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:53:18 am

Hi,

what version of Zorin are you using?.

Regards Wolfman :D

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25:36 pm

ZOS 8 32bit ultimate.

here is a list from /usr/share/xsessions

Code:
critter@critter:~$ cd /usr/share/xsessions
critter@critter:/usr/share/xsessions$ ls
gnome.desktop   XBMC.desktop           zorin_desktop-fallback.desktop
ubuntu.desktop  zorin_desktop.desktop

So XBMC appears to be there but I can't get to is. The little gear icon is missing from the login screen.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58:43 pm

Hi,

the only way I could get it to work was to install "GDM" and choose that during the install of the package as the default login manager, otherwise I couldn't do anything with LDM!!.

Choose XMBC or "Default Session" for a Zorin desktop where it states "Session".

Regards Wolfman :D

critter

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04:38 pm

And that worked a charm!

not only does XBMC work perfectly now.

AND so does the Gnome3 desktop. That's Interesting. I guess I got that while installing various gnome tools from the threads here. I have no idea, but I can click "Gnome" at logon as well as XBMC, or Default Session. I'm in Gnome3 now and the DE "appears" to be very stable so far.

Excellent idea to install GDM. It works extremely well.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25:20 pm

Hi critter, have marked your thread as [SOLVED]. Plus 60 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D