This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Zorin 8 Crashing while playing Minecraft (Not a lag

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:54:52 am

Hi,
I recently decided to switch from Fedora to Zorin OS 8 and I realized that when playing Minecraft, the system freezes after a certain amount of time (about 30 mins to an hour). The only way I can get things running again is to do a hard reset. This problem also happened in Linux Mint and Ubuntu so it looks like it occurs on Ubuntu based distros. This problem didn't happen while I was using Fedora. I usually get around 30-40 fps while playing.

If you know any fix please post it here and if any info is needed please ask me and I will post the information. I really don't want to stop using Zorin!

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:44:57 am

Hi,

what graphics card do you have?.

Have you installed the package "mono-complete"?, to install via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Let us know what happens.

Regards Wolfman :D

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:04:10 am

Hi Wolfman,
I am using Intel Sandybridge Mobile (according to details under the settings). I will install mono-complete and see if that works. I'll let you know what happens. Oh, and also I noticed this also happens when viewing flash videos in fullscreen.

Thanks for the reply!!

-Austin

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:11:45 am

Hello once again,

I installed mono-complete and it came out with this:

Code:
generating monodoc search index...
grep: /etc/gre.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
generating monodoc search index... (this can take a while)
grep: /etc/gre.d/*.conf: No such file or directory
Problem: O:Mono.Math.BigInteger.Conversion, with xpath: /Type/Members/Member[@MemberName='op_Conversion']/Docs

I ran it in the terminal again and it says its fully installed so I'm guessing it installed correctly?

I'll keep you updated,
Austin

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26:27 am

Hi Austin,

try running this terminal command and see if it helps:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and then:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart your PC after running the above commands.

Let us know if it helps, see also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :d

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:58:10 pm

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:03:47 pm

Thanks for your replies!

I ran the commands Wolfman suggested and it came out with this:
Code:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So I'm guessing it didn't do anything. I have yet to try the dpkg thing but I will let you know what happens.

I read all the articles Swartfendor suggested to me and there was one about saying it was a hardware issue. That may be the cause but I'm no so sure as this didn't happen in Fedora, Elementary OS, and openSUSE. (I just tested it again)

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:26:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I tried the dpkg thing and followed the instructions on the link that Wolfman gave me and it got stuck at this:
Code:
*Stopping Mount network filesystems

Is there anything else I could try? Nothing worked so far and I really don't wanna switch to another distro.

-Austin

austin0209

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:41:13 pm

Switching to Linux Lite for now until I find a working fix.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04:18 pm

Hi,

it might be due to hardware acceleration but I am not sure sorry!.

It is possible that Zorin Core is too heavy for your grapihcs card but you said you had Linux Mint running as well as Fedora?????.

austin0209

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01:57 am

I will just stick with Linux Lite until I am able to get a new laptop. Thanks for the help!

Wolfman

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58:16 pm

Hi,

sorry things didn't work out for you, I will mark this thread as (CLOSED).

Linx

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37:55 am

I have been playing minecraft on Zorin 8 Ult 64 bit, for the past 5 hours or so ... I get random bits of lag, but I know my computer can not properly handle the game...

Does the issue happen in fullscreen and not fullscreen?
Run your system monitor Zorin > System Tools > System Monitor
and try playing the game not in full screen so you can see how much swap space you are using at the time of the crash...
Also, what are your HW specs ? Minecraft must have 1GB of RAM to be able to run
In the past I have had issues with inecraft that always seemed to resolve when I installed the developer kit and running with that instead o the runtime.
Code:
sudo apt-get inbstall openjdk-7-jdk

then right click on the jar file and click open with, and you should have the option there.

let me know what happens.