This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Start Button Icon

sgf1974

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58:23 pm

I'm new to Zorin and naturally, I've been playing around with it for the last week or so. When I was playing around with themes, I somehow changed my start button icon. Eventually, I changed it back although I'm not entirely sure what did it (except that it required either a reboot or, at the very least, logging out and back in again). This got me to thinking: I'd like to make my own icon but I'm not sure where it should be placed. So far, I have replaced the following that are located in the usr/share/icons/Zorin/scalable/places/ folder:

distributer-logo.png
gnome-main-menu.png
novell-button.png
start-here.png

After replacing these, I logged out and back in again and the start button icon has not changed. Any ideas? In the mean time, I'm going to reboot to see if that will do it.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40:39 pm

I'm afraid that can't be done! You may have some success (NO GUARANTEES) if you install Cairo-Dock then GnoMenu afterwards - spot the difference!:

Screenshot Menus.jpg

Anonymous

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:03:40 pm

Don't mess with the system icon's.
Take what icon folders you want from the system area and copy them over to > home > .icons.
When @ Home...you won't see the ".folders " unless you press [ CTRL + H ]
After they are copied over to the .icons section.
You need to rename the folder/s..that way the system doesn't get a brain cramp when changing things around.
EXAMPLE : Zorin Dark... Zorin Dark_1 <> Zorin Light...Zorin Light_1
Let me know what icons you want to add your own [ start button ] to...and I'll let ya know exactly where they need be.
Icon groups differ from one to another based on the person whom is making them.
Zorin OS 8 is different than that of the other versions... Z G did a little changing around on the last go around.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55:58 am

For ZorinDark/Light icons

Two places have to be changed.
Both = distributor-logo.png

Example for both : Enter each folder and change the following !!!!

1st = 48x48 > places > distributor-logo.png

2nd = Scalable > places > distributor-logo.png

What ever you do...try...try not to make the icon any larger than the one your replacing.

Zorin Menu will crash on you !!!!

I've found that...keeping the new icon under 14 kb will keep you in the safe zone.
This is relative to the Zorin [ Z ] start button.