This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Windows fails to boot after Zorin installation.

anupam108

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:58:56 am

I installed Zorin 8 (64 bit) with an option that said "Along with Windows 7" during installation process. I did parallel installation. Now Win7 is displayed in boot menu but fails to boot up. Please guide me what to do?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31:05 pm

Firstly, I would boot into Zorin and complete your updates by opening a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter (NOTE - YOU NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

afterwards:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Re-boot and see if that solves the issue - if not boot into the Advanced mode and when the menu of options appears, select 'dpkg' but be sure you have internet connection before doing this.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03:43 am

Hi,

further to the comments from Swarf, is there more than one Grub listing for Win7 as it may well show two!, I am talking about the main menu at startup btw.

Regards Wolfman :D

anupam108

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Firstly, I would boot into Zorin and complete your updates by opening a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter (NOTE - YOU NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

afterwards:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Re-boot and see if that solves the issue - if not boot into the Advanced mode and when the menu of options appears, select 'dpkg' but be sure you have internet connection before doing this.

Thanks a lot. The issue is resolved now. I booted with Zorin DVD and selected the option that indicated "updating GRUB". As of now I am totally on Zorin...Winn 7 is gone out of my life. Cheers!

anupam108

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58:15 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

further to the comments from Swarf, is there more than one Grub listing for Win7 as it may well show two!, I am talking about the main menu at startup btw.

Regards Wolfman :D

Thanks a lot. The issue is resolved now. I simply booted with Zorin DVD and selected the option to update the GRUB.