This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

copy

anlsoft

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07:04 pm

i have a big problem, i can copy files from usb to the internal hdd, i want the zorin 8 to control my arduino, but the system says that i am not the owner, så i cant copy the files to the arduino place, i shows that the owner is root, and i made a user called arduino as administrator.

I am new to linux.

How can i copy files?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21:28 pm

Hi anlsoft, and welcome to Zorin! :D Sorry to say that I don't know enough about arduino but I know what it is for! All I can suggest until Wolman can offer some mounting options, is to open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and if you know the location of where the 'arduino' folder is, try this at the command prompt so for this example I am pretending that 'arduino' folder is inside the 'Documents' folder so:

Code:
cd Documents

Code:
sudo chown ansloft arduino

What 'chown' does is change ownership from 'root' to 'user'.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:58:25 am

Hi,

how did you install the app "Arduino"?, if you downloaded and installed it from an outside source, you need to completely remove it and then open a terminal or use Synaptic and install the Ubuntu version!.

To remove it, open a terminal and paste the following command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge arduino

When that is done, you can install the Ubuntu packages while still in the terminal with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install arduino arduino-core

And then you shouldn't have a permissions problem!.

Or you can install it with Synaptic, you just need to search for the packages "arduino" & "arduino-core".

See also:

http://playground.arduino.cc/Linux/Ubuntu

Regards Wolfman :D