This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] graphics problem?

phelgan

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:55:21 am

Hi all,

In the last few days, I have lost my applicatio window title bars and the dock bar has gained a black strip above it. I can get the former back if I use metacity, but this does not resolve the dock issue - in fact the dock bar then moves partially offscreen! After some fiddling I noticed under System Settings > Details > Graphics that the Driver line is blank, whereas previously it had some VESA driver listed. I assume that this is the result of an update.

Question is how do I get back to the VESA driver?

Cheers,

P

Wolfman

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:07:07 am

Hi P,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

and restart your PC after running the command!.

What graphics card do you have?.

Regards Wolfman :D

phelgan

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:31:09 pm

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for the reply. Ran those commands - mind if I ask what the second one does, or more specifically what the "dist" and the -f switch do?
I got it offerig to update unity-greeter which I accepted, but no change to my problem.

I don't actually know what the graphics card is - its an integrated one and I'm having trouble finding out without opening the case. May have to bite the bullet on that one!

Cheers,

Phelgan

EDIT: Have gone to gnome-panel and uninstalled AWN. Missing application titlebars have reappeared and mysterious black bar has gone. Still would like to know what happened though! Lost the Zorin styling....

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27:40 pm

Hi phelgan - 'dist' means 'distribution' - in this case 'Zorin'; '-f' means 'force' the change to take place.

To find what graphics card you have, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo lspci -k

You will get a raft of other motherboard information but scroll down until you see the line that starts: "VGA compatible controller".

To get your Zorin Themes back, go to Menu | System Tools | Preferences | Tweak Tool - then select 'Theme' on the left pane:

Screenshot Tweak Tool Theme.png

Wolfman

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:59:56 am

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

phelgan

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24:36 pm

Thanks guys, most helpful.
I still don't know why it started to go wrong, but eventually installed the ATI radeon (Catalyst) driver (legacy 13.1) - previously I was using the fglrx driver.
I know have a driver called "gallium 0.4 [and someother stuff I cannot remember as I'm at work now]" and the experience is "standard".
I could tell my problem was solved by virtue that I could run "SweetHome 3D" - something I haven't been able to do since the problem reared its head. Now I just need to reinstate or find a new dock.

Do you think this was "broken" by an update ?

Cheers Again,

Phelgan

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59:23 pm

Hi phelgan, usually Zorin uses the 'experimental Linux drivers' - I too have the galium 0.4 on-board ATi (AMD) Graphics chipset and had full functionality at start. It could be a corrupt install. Always avoid installing fglrx as it will break Zorin - I know I tried! If you just have the basic drivers, Compiz etc should work out of the box. :D

phelgan

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:29:23 pm

Swarfendorf - thanks, I know now!
My set-up was fine until last week so still a bit confused....but it is working again which is the main thing

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:01:41 pm

Hi phelgan, :oops: on dist-upgrade - keep lapsing my memory it does!

This is what dist-upgrade is compared to upgrade:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost1120653

Even though fedora is .rpm and not .deb - its the same difference! :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:25:00 am

phelgan wrote:Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for the reply. Ran those commands - mind if I ask what the second one does, or more specifically what the "dist" and the -f switch do?
I got it offerig to update unity-greeter which I accepted, but no change to my problem.

I don't actually know what the graphics card is - its an integrated one and I'm having trouble finding out without opening the case. May have to bite the bullet on that one!

Cheers,

Phelgan

EDIT: Have gone to gnome-panel and uninstalled AWN. Missing application titlebars have reappeared and mysterious black bar has gone. Still would like to know what happened though! Lost the Zorin styling....

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Packa ... gProcedure

phelgan

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23:40 pm

Hi phelgan, :oops: on dist-upgrade - keep lapsing my memory it does!

I'm sure you've forgotten for more on Linux than I've picked up in a year using it!

Thanks both for the links on dist-upgrade, thats my lunchtime reading sorted for today.