This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Missing window effects after installation of Zorin 8

lukchiuwing

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23:45 pm

Hi,

I've just done a fresh installation of the Zorin 8 Free 64bit on my PC and everything's running fine. However, some default window effects, font setting and theming are missing after the installation. (I am using the same HOME folder from other distro, but have only ONE distro, no multi boot)

WINDOW EFFECTS:
Unlike the live session, the effects like flip menu and etc are missing. I've tried to export the Compiz settings from live session then import it. However, still no special effect. I am guess the problem might be COMPIZ, but I have no idea how to deal with it as I've never used COMPIZ before.

FONT SETTINGS:
After installation, the fonts are just UBUNTU fonts, not the ROBOTO font used in the live session. I have to tune it one by one.

THEMING:
Right after the installation, the ZORIN light theme looks like broken. Highlighted menu items are orange (same as UBUNTU) and AWN looks different from the one in the live session. I have to switch it to ZORIN dark then ZORIN light to make it work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
CWL

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:50:38 pm

Have you followed Wolfman's excellent post-installation guide here?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

:D

lukchiuwing

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50:17 pm

Hi,

My main concern is the window effects like the Live session. I've checked the post installation guest, but it does not apply to my case. Do you mean the graphic card driver part? I have no issue with my ATI Raedon card, it works very well with most of the distro.

Thanks & Best regards,
CWL

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41:05 pm

lukchiuwing wrote:Hi,

I've just done a fresh installation of the Zorin 8 Free 64bit on my PC and everything's running fine. However, some default window effects, font setting and theming are missing after the installation. (I am using the same HOME folder from other distro, but have only ONE distro, no multi boot)

WINDOW EFFECTS:
Unlike the live session, the effects like flip menu and etc are missing. I've tried to export the Compiz settings from live session then import it. However, still no special effect. I am guess the problem might be COMPIZ, but I have no idea how to deal with it as I've never used COMPIZ before.

Hi, I am not sure what you mean by 'flip menu and etc' - if you mean moving the panel then this is an AWN (Avant Window Navigator panel) setting. If you need special effects, check your settings in Compiz by going to - Menu | System Tools | Preferences | CompizConfig Settings Manager

FONT SETTINGS:
After installation, the fonts are just UBUNTU fonts, not the ROBOTO font used in the live session. I have to tune it one by one.

I can only find two entries for Roboto font in Tweak Tool (I am still running the RC version] - Default font and Window title font

THEMING:
Right after the installation, the ZORIN light theme looks like broken. Highlighted menu items are orange (same as UBUNTU) and AWN looks different from the one in the live session. I have to switch it to ZORIN dark then ZORIN light to make it work.

Again use Tweak Tool - Menu | System Tools | Preferences | Tweak Tool

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
CWL

Hope this helps! :D