This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Question about startup

dinch

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26:58 pm

Hello
i'm new user of zorin os
ok when I power on my computer there is a menu where is zorin, memtest, and something more;
is there any way to make that menu don't appear, or can i choose some option somewhere that evry time when i'm power on my computer startup zorin without these menu ?

i hope you understand my question and help me, my english is maybe bad a litle ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17:52 pm

Hi dinch, and Welcome to Zorin! I don't think you can prevent that but you can reduce the timings at boot time to zero but I personally think it is a bad idea - as Zorin uses a journaling file system (just as Windows NTFS) you should not change boot parameters to below 5 seconds - the default is 10 seconds I believe. :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:21:06 am

Hi,

you can hide the menu completely but I don't advise it, surely you can wait a few seconds for the PC to boot automatically?.

If you want it hidden, see the first answer here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/346463/h ... grub2-menu

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Regards Wolfman :D

dinch

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58:45 am

i can wait a few seconds i always have time for wait :D

but this computer is using my family more than me, so that's the reason why i want move that menu.

they use it just for internet, first i use windows 7 on this laptop but laptop is 5 years old an windows is runing too slow so i decided to install zorin os just because zorin is most similar w7 and my family will use it without problem

in otherwise on my second computer using ubuntu

i will se in which direction will be going using zorin by my family, if they don't click anything on this grub menu it will be evrything fine, otherwise i will use this instructions for hide him.

tnx

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34:18 pm

This article should sort you out - go to the bottom of the page! ;) :D

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-pas ... ies-linux/

Wolfman

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:21:44 am

dinch wrote:i can wait a few seconds i always have time for wait :D

but this computer is using my family more than me, so that's the reason why i want move that menu.

they use it just for internet, first i use windows 7 on this laptop but laptop is 5 years old an windows is runing too slow so i decided to install zorin os just because zorin is most similar w7 and my family will use it without problem

in otherwise on my second computer using ubuntu

i will se in which direction will be going using zorin by my family, if they don't click anything on this grub menu it will be evrything fine, otherwise i will use this instructions for hide him.

tnx

Hi,

if you password protect the other OS'es on your PC, your family won't be able to access them, they will only get as far as a login window and if they don't know the password; they won't get any further!.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42:11 pm

Just to add to what Wolman has said, I would not password protect the second item (I think you hinted that Zorin was the only OS to be running on this machine) as it is a 'repair/safe mode' option - anything below that should be ok to block (memtest). :D

Wolfman

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:05:07 pm

Hi,

you can also create a user account for each family member and give them different passwords, just don't tell them the admin password and they cannot do anything to destroy the main OS!.