This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] 32 vs. 64 - soundcard issues

rmbelson

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31:01 pm

My PC:
Motherboard: Abit AN-M2HD w/2G ram. CPU: AMD X2 BE-2400 2.3GHZ. Sound Card: SB Audigy 4.

I've tried running both 32 and 64 versions of Zorin Core 8. System can't see soundcard with 64 bit OS. I was told I could run 64 bit OS because my mobo is 64 bit (also has onboard sound on mobo). I've tried various troubleshooting processes to solve sound issues but under 64 bit OS just shows dummy output and various alsa commands do not show sound card under 64. So -- should I live with 32 bit OS? Same problem under other Ubuntu distros like Mint.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:54:51 pm

Hi there - can you please follow Wolfman's excellent post-install guide here (more specially his 'sound' section) from here and keep us posted! :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

rmbelson

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23:37 pm

Should I install the 64 or 32? I have the 64 installed on hd. I burned the image of the 32 and loaded from the cd and that's when I saw that the 32 recognized my soundcard. However just found out that no sound comes from speakers even then.

BTW as a new user of Ubuntu and not exactly a tech wizard, I find the post install guide pretty overwhelming. I chose Zorin because it was supposed to be easiest for Windows users. For example, the guide talks about differences between using Gnome version and Windows 7 version. How do I know which one is the one auto installed by the Zorin CD? Or -- post install guide assumes I know what AWN panel is -- which I don't. I don't mean to criticize the instructions, just mean that where I am in learning and where it its are very different places.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:31:09 pm

Hi again, AWN (Avant Window Navigator) Panel is the panel at the bottom of your screen. All Desktops are built on Gnome - the Gnome Desktop has its main panel at the top of the screen, with a secondary panel at the bottom which usually has Trash/Rubbbish/Recycle bin on at one end and Desktop switcher at the other. I can appreciate you are new to this but sadly, hardware manufacturers are geared to the "Wintel" franchise!
Wolfman, myself and other moderators are unpaid volunteers. When I have some time I will attempt to put a pdf together to try and make things as simple as possible! :D

UPDATE: Take a look at this thread here - it may help or not - but worth taking a look at!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1567445&page=2

rmbelson

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:42:55 pm

I truly appreciate the hand-holding. But to circle back for a second -- given my set up, should I 1. be trying to install the 64-bit OS and then trying to get the OS to recognize my sound card -- or should I 2. live with the 32-bit OS and be trying to get my sound to output to my speakers (which may be a problem even if I succeed with step 1)?

Wolfman

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:10:57 am

Hi,

I use a 32 bit OS on my 64 bit PC, as long as you have a fairly new PC, it really won't make much difference and I find that it is better to use the 32 bit version myself.

Do you have more than one soundcard installed?, if you do, you need to disable the soundcard which you are not using!. If you read through the sound help thread, read the whole thread as there are more tips about sound setting in the 3rd answer too:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

As you can see from my pic, I have the HDMI sound hardware disabled:
Sound_003.jpeg

Make sure you fully update your system per the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

rmbelson

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35:01 am

Sound working! Thanks to all.

tarzanofnazareth

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:55:58 pm

hey rmbelson what sound card are you using - like yourself i am new to this Zorin OS (just chaged from XP) and i'm fairly sure my Linux doesnt support my sound card - so just wondering what S/C you have - no sound is going to kill me - esp as i need to do some sound editing soon

rmbelson

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07:07 pm

SB Audigy 2 Value -- fyi, most recent Zorin install decided it was Audigy 4, not sure why. Known issues in Ubuntu with some of the Audigy cards. I solved it by installing alsamixer and using that app to check off which device I had, not the native one to Zorin. Not at the Zorin machine, but I think I picked analog/amplifier. My first attempts were because, although I had a 64 bit machine, the Zorin 64 bit could not recognize the sound card and showed only 'dummy output'. A reinstall with 32 bit solved that.