This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to find Skype on the panel

maccabbeo

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27:54 am

Hi to all,
I'm new to Zorin.

INTRODUCTION. As you know, Skype windows have the "X" close button allowing you to close the current window (chat window or contacts window) while keeping Skype still running.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR. Other Ubuntu based distributions consequently remove the window icon from the panel while Skype icon is still visible on the task bar, just because Skype is still running. I mean the task or notification bar including, for example: the clock, battery and network icons by default.

BEHAVIOUR. The above expected-behaviour does not happen with Zorin. Once you close such windows you are not able to reopen them since no other Skype icon is visible anywhere and re-launching Skype from the application menu just opens a new instance of Skype while the old one is still running as shown in the System Monitor.

WORKAROUND 1. Before launching the first instance of Skype (for example after a fresh reboot) you should pin a new launcher on the panel. This way, per each session, clicking on the launcher for the first time will launch the application while clicking further allow you to restore the skype windows.

WORKAROUND 2. Add the "Notification Area" or the "Notification Daemon" applets (at the moment, not sure whether just one or both of them together did the job) to the panel, before launching Skype.

QUESTION. Is all that "normal" with Zorin? Just in case, what about reproducing the same behaviour as other common Ubuntu based distros (for example: Ubuntu itself, Kubuntu, Linux Mint...).

Thanks,
regards.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43:24 pm

Hi,

what is needed is for people to either use a 2nd AWN panel or use Docky, that way the Skype icon remains visisble, the other option is simply to minimize it to the panel.

Skype users should also look at this thread (see 3rd post):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Regards Wolfman :D

maccabbeo

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I think adding a new dock is too much as well as reminding all the time not to close the Skype windows.
I think WORKAROUND 2 is pretty suitable for me.

As for your suggestion to see the other thread, I do not get the point since Skype is currently working like a charm for me. Which issue will that thread solve?
Thanks,
regards.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29:52 pm

You could solve your Skype issues period - install 'jitsi' instead! :mrgreen:

http://jitsi.org

Wolfman

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:59:05 am

maccabbeo wrote:Thanks for your suggestion. I think adding a new dock is too much as well as reminding all the time not to close the Skype windows.
I think WORKAROUND 2 is pretty suitable for me.

As for your suggestion to see the other thread, I do not get the point since Skype is currently working like a charm for me. Which issue will that thread solve?
Thanks,
regards.

Hi,

I only put the link about Skype and sound for the benefit of others reading this thread!.

maccabbeo

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:You could solve your Skype issues period - install 'jitsi' instead! :mrgreen:

http://jitsi.org

Ok. Installed, however I also need to use Skype. The problem, unfortunately, is not only related to Skype since also affects other software which hides in the task tray, such as RhytmBox installed by default.

Wolfman

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36:16 am

Hi,

the only other option I can offer is to use the Gnome 2 look, that way Skype is visible all the time!.

I believe the problem lies wiith the new Gnome which I am sure you are aware of as it hides everything!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44:15 pm

If you are in Win7 look, have you tried to launch Skype from the Apps Menu? It should show up on the AWN Panel - when it does, right-click it and 'Make it a Launcher' - you may have to edit it to see where it is pointing to but could you see if that works first? :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59:06 pm

Just uploaded a video on how to get it to stick to the panel! :D

https://vimeo.com/87231226

maccabbeo

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09:38 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you are in Win7 look, have you tried to launch Skype from the Apps Menu? It should show up on the AWN Panel - when it does, right-click it and 'Make it a Launcher' - you may have to edit it to see where it is pointing to but could you see if that works first? :D

I did something quite similar as described in
WORKAROUND 1. Before launching the first instance of Skype (for example after a fresh reboot) you should pin a new launcher on the panel. This way, per each session, clicking on the launcher for the first time will launch the application while clicking further allow you to restore the skype windows.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53:35 pm

OK so can this thread be marked as [SOLVED] now! :D