This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My internet is not working, please help!

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:00:59 am

Hello!

I just recently installed Zorin 8 on my laptop and I'm running into a few problems. My wireless network is not working, and neither is my ethernet. Now, I've been researching for a bit and from what I understand is that I have to download a windows wireless driver (not sure 100%). The thing is that I can't connect through my ethernet either to look for drivers! Please help me what can I do? I'm new to Linux so this is all very new to me.

If it helps, I ran a lspci -nn command and my network controller is:

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8187SE wireless LAN controller

And my Ethernet controller is:
Realtek Seminconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/ 8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

If I'm missing a piece of information please let me know.

Thank you :)

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43:09 am

Hi,

did you have it working on the Live CD?, restart your PC with the live CD inserted and see if at least your network adapter works and then we can work it out from there.

Let us know about the live CD situation first please.

Regards Wolfman :D

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53:08 am

Well, thank you for answering.

No, I'm running my OS from a bootable USB. My Hard Drive has Windows 7 installed.

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:05:56 am

Hi,

have you rebooted into it yet and tested the network adapter?, have you checked to see if networking is switched on at the panel icon?, left mouse the network icon and make sure that "Enable Networking and Enable Wireless" both have a tick beside them.
Menu_003.jpeg
Menu_003.jpeg (53.67 KiB)

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:44:42 am

I've reebooted several times and no luck, my friend. THe thing is that everything works. I'm on my phone right now typing this while being connected to my wireless network and when I boot Windows 7 (on the same computer) my internet works.Enabble networking and enable wi-fi are checked.

I checked in my wireless network drivers and there's no drivers showing up. I have no idea why it's not picking up my driver. I also went to Sofware Center > Sofware Sources in the edit tab > Additional drivers > and it says that there are no additional driversavailable.

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:47:33 am

Hi,

lets see if it can find your ethernet card at least, paste the following command into a terminal and paste back the results here please:

Code:
lspci -nn |grep Ethernet

You should end up with something like this:

wolfman@fred:~$ lspci -nn |grep Ethernet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1692] (rev 01)
wolfman@fred:~$

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:50:09 am

Did "Enable Network" have a tick beside it?.

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:05:08 am

Yes, both my networking and my wireless have the checkmarck on the left side.

My results were:

Live@live:~$ lspci -nn |grep Ethernet
05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co.- Ltd. RTL8111/8168/ 8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)

Sorry I didnt paste them, but I'm answering from my phone. Remember my internet doesn't work lol

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15:24 am

Hi,

the hardware is there so that isn't the problem, somewhere there is no trigger to activate your network card?,

Try the following command then pull out and plug back in the ethernet cable:

Code:
echo on | sudo tee /sys/class/net/eth0/device/power/control

Did you completely format the USB stick to FAT32 before you put Zorin on it?, what app did you use to create the USB stick?

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25:37 am

Yes, I deleted everything and formatted to be a FAT32 and I used UNetbootin.

I did the command and I keep getting "on" as an answer.

Could it be something in the BIOS? I doubt it, but I'm running out of ideas. It works just fine on the same computer when I boot windows 7.

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:31:26 am

Another thing you can try is to make sure that the network file looks like mine:

interfaces (-etc-network) - gedit_004.jpeg

Open a terminal and paste the following command and check:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

Make sure it looks more or less like mine (I am using Zorin 6) but yours may differ somewhat!.

Then close that window and paste this command:

Code:
sudo service network-manager restart

If this doesn't help, please wait for Madvinegar as he is the real expert on networking!.

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34:37 am

DeepPurpleHaze

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41:37 am

Right now I'm in the process of re-installing everything. I hope it works, but thank you so much for your time and help.

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:44:11 am

Hi,

good luck, I must go now but keep us posted.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:22:18 pm

The command to see all network devices is:

Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

DON'T post back information that includes MAC addresses unless you want the 'Crackers' (NOT Hackers! :D ) take control of your machine. If for some bizarre reason you don't get wlan0 and end up with eth0 and eth1 the latter will be your wlan0 - enter the mac address of 'eth1' in the Device Address of Wireless.

madvinegar

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56:46 pm

Also please post here the results of

lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all