This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Software & Updates - Updated

Wirezfree

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30:55 pm

Hello All,

Have done the install of Zorin 8 following the guidance given from my other "Install" Thread.

I have one/two initial anomalies.

I go into "Software & Updates", select the "Updates" Tab.
I click on the first item "Important Security Update"
It prompts me for my Password.
If I click on any of the tick boxes the tick appears, release mouse, the tick disappears..?? (1st anomaly)
NOTE: the "Notify me of new Ubuntu Version" = Never

I then try to [Close] the Software Update screen,
I get a dialogue box:
"The information about available software is out of date"
"To install software from newly added or changed sources, you have to reload the information about available software"

I click on reload, dialogue changes to "Updating Cache, loading software list from archive.ubuntu.com"
The window then closes

The above sequence occurs when ever I try to change settings in "Software & Updates", on the "Updates" (2nd anomaly)

I assume this means I'm currently not getting security update notification without the ticks being present.?

Additionally added @ 19:02
I have found if I manually run the "Software Updater" it is offering "Ubuntu base" update.
I have not accepted it, and selected the remind me later option,
I read in one of the guides that said updating Ubuntu will "ruin your Zorin installation"

Any help appreciated,
Hope this is in right section.?

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06:32 am

Hi Dave, I think this is a bug - as it happens to me no matter which version of Zorin! You should still get the necessary security updates for the system via the Update Manager. If you have any concerns, then you could try the solutions here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/194/how- ... mmand-line

Wirezfree

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29:48 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Dave, I think this is a bug - as it happens to me no matter which version of Zorin! You should still get the necessary security updates for the system via the Update Manager. If you have any concerns, then you could try the solutions here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/194/how- ... mmand-line

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks... I will look at the link...
I thought it maybe to do with not having right sources.? but I think that's all O.K

Yes the update Manager, that is when I found it is offering the Ubuntu base update...
which I keep putting off, I think that's the one that kills your Zorin install.
Not sure how to stop it offering the update.?

Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44:58 am

Hi Dave, so long as this setting is set to never you should be ok (I think) - Wolfman?

31.png
31.png (11.13 KiB)

Wirezfree

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:53:41 am

Hi,

Yes... That is set to never, it was at install.

The issue is the Ubuntu base Update is already on the list to be installed, and I see no no way to remove it.
I just keep clicking "remind me later" so as not to install it.
So when I do get required updates, not sure how I will be able to apply them, without the Ubuntu base also being installed.?

Hope that makes sense

edit...
There is a tick box, unticked it, still on list, but I assume it will now not install

Dave

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:00:38 am

Hi,

check out the update guide and you might find an anaswer there:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

To start with, run this terminal command and see if that helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

In Z8, those 4 boxes won't tick because there are already listed in the "Other Software" list!.

Regards Wolfman :d

Wirezfree

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03:03 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

check out the update guide and you might find an anaswer there:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

To start with, run this terminal command and see if that helps:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

In Z8, those 4 boxes won't tick because there are already listed in the "Other Software" list!.

Regards Wolfman :d

Hi Wolfman,

Many thanks,
I re-read the link, I missed the comment: "NB: dist-upgrade will not udate your OS to the next highest version!" :oops:
Ran the commands, I answered Yes to the question, took a few minutes, did not see any errors flash up. I did a re-boot.
Checked for S/W update, All up-to-date, and no more message about Sources changed.

Thanks again, and for moving thread...
I thought because I encountered this during installation, it was best there.

Dave