This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Internet connection lost

snglnluvnit

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:29:19 pm

Hello all, new to Zorin. I am actually attempting to assist my younger brother from another state. He is running Zorin 6.4 LTS 64 bit. My brother-in-law loaded the OS on the machine at my brother's home. Then a couple of days later he switched everything to a new case, same components but new PC case. Then when they turn on machine they had Internet connection for short time then nothing. They called MediaCom (iSP), and ran through all the usual rebooting of modem and computer. When faced with the option of only answering Windows or Mac for which OS he was running he hung up. After which he went right back to his old XP machine and of course it worked just fine with the connection. What can I suggest to him to try...other than to stick with XP..hehehe, I would like to shield him somewhat from the Windows based predators, he is pretty naive.
Thanks
Scott
PS, if you need more info let me know what you need to assist us!

madvinegar

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:59:52 pm

Please tell him to prepare a love USB of Zorin (or install Zorin) and post here the results of the following commands so as to see the ID and drivers needed for is wireless card:

lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

snglnluvnit

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06:32 pm

He is not using a wireless card, only Ethernet cable that came with modem.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:30:14 pm

Hi snglnluvnit, I may be wrong but I think you gave a clue when you mentioned modem. Is there any way your brother can connect wirelessly? If he can't connect to the internet he is going to have issues downloading missing packages. when you mentioned modem, my first thought was 'pppoe' package.

12.jpg

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24:02 am

Hi,

as Swarf has mentioned, if he has a DSL modem, type the following command in a terminal:

Code:
sudo pppoeconf

He must then enter his details for his ISP.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40:29 am

Hi Wolfman, I don't have pppoe running as I am not on ADSL - does it not need the package pppoe to be installed? This is why I can't understand that Zorin does not include the package in networking - have seen it on lightweight GNU/Linux distros - can't remember if it is included by default on Lite.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50:53 pm

Hi Swarf,

it is installed by default in Zorin 8, I don't know about Zorin 6?.

If it is not installed in Zorin 6 by default, paste the following command in a terminal but you will need your Zorin CD inserted and the CD added to your software sources list:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pppoeconf

See this for adding software sources:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:37:19 pm

Hi Wolfman, pppoeconf is present in my screenshot - it's the one above that - just the pppoe package! :)

snglnluvnit

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:57:11 pm

Well apparently when he told me he switched out machines he failed to tell me that the XP machine was a different build altogether. So as it turns out, once he loaded a Win OS on the "faulty" mobo it did not connect either. Turns out it maybe a failing ethernet adapter. I thought that a DSL modem was still a modem, sorry for the lack of clarity on my part. His DSL modem is not wireless capable, and I would prefer since I am so far away that he keep the hardware to minimum so I am not recommending a wireless router. Thanks to all who responded!!!
Scott

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:50:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, pppoeconf is present in my screenshot - it's the one above that - just the pppoe package! :)

Hi Swarf,

it is "pppoeconf" that is important I believe!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:51:52 pm

Hi Wolfman, thanks for the clarity! :D