This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem

JonathanP

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22:53 pm

I installed zorin os 8 and when i install something like dropbox the icon don't show up on the awn and i can't figure out how to fix it.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:57:58 pm

OK, just completed a screencast ... and Kazam crashed out on me!

1. OK, download the correct package for system (64-bit or 32-bit for Ubuntu as that is what Zorin is based on) from dropbox site and install using 'gdebi Package Installer'.

2. Whilst drop-box is installing you should see the drop-box icon appear in the panel at the bottom of the screen (AWN panel) - while it is there, right-click and select 'create custom launcher'.

3. Right-click the AWN Panel and select 'Preferences' then select 'Applets Tab' - scroll down to 'Yet Another Menu Applet' and drag this to the bottom panel within 'Applets' - you should see another 'Z' appear - right click on this and select 'Edit Menus' - go to the Internet section and in the right-pane you should see 'Dropbox' - select this menu item then click on the Properties button to see the command line and descriptors.

4. On the create custom launcher that you have open, this should be 'blank' - copy and paste each field into the new custom launcher.

5. To get the applications icon to show instead of a question mark/exclamation mark (poor memory!), click on the icon in the new custom launcher properties dialog and browse to:

/usr/share/icons/zorin light/scalable - then scroll-down til you get to the dropbox.png and select open - voila, you now have a custom launcher! :D

JonathanP

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14:22 am

It didnt show up, that's what i mean, i tried to install redshift and its suppose to show up on the panel and it don't, i don't know how to fix the problem.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:14:38 am

Hi,

start "Docky" and then move it to the top of your screen and when you open "Dropbox", right click the app icon and "Pin to dock".

See the post install guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

See if that helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:36:44 am

JonathanP wrote:It didnt show up, that's what i mean, i tried to install redshift and its suppose to show up on the panel and it don't, i don't know how to fix the problem.

From recollection, red shift is a Windows Application from Dorling Kindersley Educational softwares. This will be under Wine - browse your wine C: folder and launch the application - see if anything shows up in the panel.

My instructions I gave you worked for me - I never got round to running it as I don't use Drop Box - Kazam keeps working then not working. I will try to record a video using recordmydesktop and uploading that but don't know if I will have time today! :D