This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Software Updater: not allowed to perform this action

sphengle

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:21:16 pm

I get the above message when I try to update my completely new installation of Zorin OS 8.

Incidentally I'm doing an update because nothing seems to happen when I run Chrome. Nothing visual happens and yet chrome processes are running.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:09:14 am

Have you updated using 'Update Manager' or from a Terminal? Best using a 'Terminal' (Menu | Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Please also take time to follow Wolfman's excellent post-install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

Keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54:57 am

Hi,

are you logged in as "Guest"?.

Regards Wolfman :D

sphengle

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21:52 am

As Wolfman correctly guessed I was logged in as 'Guest'. Although, this wasn't obvious. I wasn't expecting my password that I'd set up for my "real" account to work with Guest. So when I logged in I thought I'd logged in as the account I'd set up. I eventually noticed on one of the menus (far right icon) that there was an indicator against Guest and it was at that point I realised. I tried to switch to a different user but that didn't seem to work. I had to log out and attempt to log in with the account I'd set up. Again, the UI was a but confusing. However, every time I log in now it is under the correct account.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44:17 pm

Hi sphengle, So can we mark this thread as [SOLVED] now? :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18:56 pm

Hi,

just for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, the guest account WILL NOT SAVE ANY DOCUMENTS OR SETTINGS YOU MADE DURING USAGE, only when you are logged in as the correct user (the user account you setup when you installed Zorin) will you be able to make any changes or create documents etc.

Regards Wolfman :D