This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS doesn't boot

Nicolas0301

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:58:01 pm

(Sorry for my bad english.)
I've installed Zorin OS 8 (64 bit) along to Windows 8 (x64 / 64 bit), but Zorin OS doesn't boot (there isn't a bootloader or so, but only Windows boots). I've tried it with enabled and disabled secure boot, but it doesn't work. Zorin OS 8 is installed on a 500GB large partition (ext4) and there is also a swap-partition (24GB for 12GB RAM) and a boot-partition (300 MB).

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45:47 pm

Hi Nicolas0301, and welcome to Zorin. I am afraid that will always be the case unless you boot into the BIOS and select 'Legacy Boot' mode over UEFI. Likewise Windows 8 will not boot until the BIOS is reset to UEFI! :(

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:54:36 pm

Hi,

try Boot Repair:

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Or start your live Cd and once booted, open a terminal and paste the following command and restart your PC normally:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Let us now how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :d

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:26:41 pm

Hi again (I really should wear my reading glasses at home as well as at work for screen use - I apologise for not looking more closely at your original posting. I think it could be to do with where you installed GRUB to - for starters Windows 8 uses GPT and not MBR.

http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/ ... r-disk.htm

In this instance I would create a '/boot' partition of 512 Mb at the start of your GNU/Linux install, then create '/', then '/home' then 'swap area' and place your GRUB on the '/boot' partition - but to be honest I have never tried it.

Nicolas0301

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:28:29 pm

Wolfman wrote:Or start your live Cd and once booted, open a terminal and paste the following command and restart your PC normally:

Code:
sudo update-grub

sudo update-grub doesnt work:
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.

I will try boot repair now

Nicolas0301

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:38:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:In this instance I would create a '/boot' partition of 512 Mb at the start of your GNU/Linux install, then create '/', then '/home' then 'swap area' and place your GRUB on the '/boot' partition - but to be honest I have never tried it.

There is a /boot folder in my Linux install with a grub-folder inside, but I have also created a boot-partition (around 300 MB) when I installed Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:47:29 pm

Can you post a screenshot of your partitions if you can get Zorin to run in live mode?

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:44:29 pm

Hi,

you don't need to create a seperate boot partition of your own, as long as you have a normal boot partition, the bootloader will automatically be placed there!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Nicolas0301

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:56:38 pm

sda4 is where Windows 8 is installed
sda5 is where Zorin is installed
sda7 is the swap-partition
sda6 is the boot-partition I have created before the installation

(Unbekannt means Unknown)

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07:18 am

OK, not used to viewing your partitions like that but I suspect that the unknown one on the Windows Part might be a driver partition and because it is hidden this can sometimes cause issues with installing GNU/Linux. When you highlight each partition, what are the properties of each? Does it say if one is Primary/Extended/Logical?

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:53:12 am

Hi,

your partition sda3 is not formatted?, niether is sda6 as it states "biosgrub" which is not a format that Linux may recognise!.

Regards Wolfman :D

blfriis

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:15:02 am

A couple of days ago, i made a dualboot on my daughter's pc. I used this guide and it worked perfect. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417361,00.asp See if you you can enable "Lagacy & uefi "

Anonymous

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:56:50 pm

Assuming Zorin OS is installed correctly as a dual-boot along side Windows 8.

The right way to get Zorin OS 8 to boot along side of Windows 8 correctly without any problems.

1. Go to power options via control panel.

2. click on > [ choose what power buttons do ]

3. click on > [ change settings that are currently unavailable ]

4. click on > uncheck = disable > [ turn on fast startup ]

5. click on > [ save changes ]

This disables the so called hyper sleep > fast startup that keeps you from booting or seeing anything Zorin OS related.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:22:41 pm

Sorry for the late thank you Gizmutu - 240 blue jewels to you sir! :D This was not a problem for me as such in booting into Zorin as I have three seperate hard drives - what was causing me grief was not being able to see the Windows 8 Partiition - thanks to Gizmuntu's tip on the power issue I can now access my Windows 8 drive and read/write to it! :D