This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Tried to add HP Laserjet5 printer

zinzan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33:21 pm

Have tried to add my old trusty Hp Laserjet5 printer and no go. It works with Ubuntu 12.04.

I got this message upon trying to install:

"FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall."

The firewall was turned both on and off when I tried installing. In both cases I looked in the firewall and did not see any of those names.

There was a pop up window which read "snmp on 50999 UDP"

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:46:20 pm

Hi,

install the package "hplip-gui" and then see if ti works:

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

See the printer section in the post install guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

zinzan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:07:05 pm

Thanks Wolfman. Got this in the terminal

Code:
gb@gb-MS-6714:~$ sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
[sudo] password for gb:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package hplip-gui is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'hplip-gui' has no installation candidate
gb@gb-MS-6714:~$

zinzan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:17:30 pm

Found HPLIP toolbox in software centre. Will install from there.

Wolfman

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:07:48 pm

Hi,

check that your software sources all have a tick in the boxes, that is most likely why it didn't show up for you:

Software & Updates_002.jpg

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Other Software

zinzan

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:23:36 pm

Sucess! Now printing! Many thanks Wolfman!

I am an oldtimer and really enjoying Zorin. After having trouble with printer setup and firewall I thought my days with Zorin were at an end (before they had hardly started).

I had started looking for 2nd hand windows 7 computers, but you have saved the day. Again, thank you muchly.

[I have 2.6ghz cpu (1 core), 1mb ram, 10gb hdd, 17inch CRT monitor, and using this wonderful :D distro with compliz (I get the odd freeze up).]

Have also updated Software Sources. Thanks for telling me about this.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:29:07 pm

zinzan wrote:Sucess! Now printing! Many thanks Wolfman!

I am an oldtimer and really enjoying Zorin. After having trouble with printer setup and firewall I thought my days with Zorin were at an end (before they had hardly started).

I had started looking for 2nd hand windows 7 computers, but you have saved the day. Again, thank you muchly.

[I have 2.6ghz cpu (1 core), 1mb ram, 10gb hdd, 17inch CRT monitor, and using this wonderful :D distro with compliz (I get the odd freeze up).]

Have also updated Software Sources. Thanks for telling me about this.

Firstly, 60 blue jewels to Wolfman!

Second, do you really only have a 10 Gb HDD? :D

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:57:15 am

Yes. I have a number of small hdds that I can interchangably put in this pc, and the current one is 10gb with Zorin 6.4 installed on it.

I took a screenshot of DisK Usage Analyser but do not know how to insert that into a post.

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21:20 am

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07:11 am

I was going to send a photo of my setup but the old Sony camera I have saves the photos to floppy and after inserting this floppy in the computer's floppy drive it will not open where it says Floppy Drive in Home. Also tried some commands I found on the web. Still no go. Sorry.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:23:48 am

Hi zinzan,

glad to here yo got it working!. :D

With regard to the floppy, insert a floppy disk and then go to your home folder and look on the left of the window and see if the device is showing in the list, if you simply click on the device, it should mount, if not, right mouse click and then on "Mount".

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:11:51 pm

Hi Wolfman, :)

Thanks for your advice on accessing floppy.

Wolfman wrote:With regard to the floppy, insert a floppy disk and then go to your home folder and look on the left of the window and see if the device is showing in the list, if you simply click on the device, it should mount,

It didn't.

if not, right mouse click and then on "Mount".

No "Mount" button, but pushing "Detect Media" button caused the floppy drive to light up but nothing on the screen changed.

Also went to Image Viewer and tried viewing contents there but no go.

I booted XP on another hdd to see it I could see images on the floppy there and I could - so floppy drive is working.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35:07 pm

Hi zinzan,

if you have XP on the same PC, start with XP and copy the files from the disk to a folder of your choice in your XP "My Documents", then restart with Zorin and then mount XP via your Zorin home and copy the folder over to Zorin.

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:43:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Wolfman but not really trying for a workaround, just curious as to why floppy drive contents not viewable in Zorin, but no biggie. :)

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:52:03 pm

Hi zinzan,

try these commands:

to mount:

Code:
udisks --mount /dev/fd0

to unmount:

Code:
udisks --unmount /dev/fd0

And this might help?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/168597/h ... -in-ubuntu

zinzan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:53:54 pm

Thanks Wolfman,

I am in my Ubuntu 12.04 hdd
Have got floppy drive mounted on this.
Had to download gnome-system-tools and the go to 'Users and Groups' and added floppy drive to groups.

Did udisks --mount /dev/fd0 then opened floppy drive and I did a df

Code:
gb@gb-MS-6714:~$ df
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        8812276 7253860   1110776  87% /
udev              505264       4    505260   1% /dev
tmpfs             205032     796    204236   1% /run
none                5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
none              512576     148    512428   1% /run/shm
/dev/fd0            1424      94      1330   7% /media/floppy0
gb@gb-MS-6714:~$

Went to floppy0 in Home directory but shows nothing in it.

Think I might move on from floppy and eventually get another camera (that does not need floppy) or smartphone. Thanks for being here. :)

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27:34 am

Hi zinzan,

at least you are sorted and that is the main thing.

There are USB floppy drives if you really need one for modern PC's although I do find it odd that floppies aren't seen by most modern versions of Linux!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23:31 am

Morning chaps, just had a quick browse in synaptic - see if installing 'fdutils' solves the floppy issue! ;) I think floppies are sadly (to me) being phased out - I hate wasting a CD for a small bios flash but the latest mobos like mine do it from the BIOS and you search for the downloaded .img file to install! Keep us posted but if you could start another thread on the Floppy Drive as this thread was really about Printing issues! ;)