This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Computer Icon on Desktop

lenberman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26:14 pm

I just replaced Zorin 6 with Zorin 8. I can't find a way to display the Computer icon on the desktop. Can anyone please help.

Len

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53:44 pm

Hi lenberman, I don't think it is possible - have checked dconf and tweak-tool and nothing there - I don't know if this is down to Zorin Devs or Ubuntu devs or Gnome Devs but not very helpful for people who are used to 'Computer' on the desktop - the quickest way to get to it is through the 'home' icon which lists all the places in the left pane. ;)

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00:14 am

Hi,

open "Tweak Tool" > Desktop and make sure the top two switches are set to on:

Tweak Tool_003.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

EDIT: See my answer below too!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34:53 am

Hi Wolfman, that top command just removes all desktop icons (off) or shows desktop icons (on) there is no 'Computer' icon any more! Will delve some more on the net. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41:22 am

Here you go:

http://www.ubuntuask.com/q/answers-comp ... 89148.html

and the page referred to in the above:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/get-naut ... buntu.html

Do so at your own risk! If you do get it to work, please post back, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! If you screw up your install I won't take responsibility! :D

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41:30 am

Hi Swarf,

I didn't notice he said "Computer"!. :(

Open Zorin Menu > Places > Computer, right click and create desktop shortcut icon.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:50:40 am

60 blue jewels to you sir - and I did not spot that! Doh! :lol: Have just created a 'Places' Shortcut - this is where you get the familiar icon from:

37.jpg

Then afterward, right-click the icon and rename it 'Computer' - or if you are a Windows die-hard 'My Computer'! :D

lenberman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23:58 pm

Thank you, Issue resolved.
Len