This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Linking HOME directories to another location

maccabbeo

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19:52 pm

Hi to all.

Is there any way to make default home directories locations point somewhere else?
You know, it is extremely convenient for me to keep the personal data directories phisically separated from the system directories. For example, extremely convenient when installing a new distro.

Setting the home directory in a separated partition is not convenient since it will also store config and hidden directories not related to my personal data anyway.

I wish I could solve this problem somehow. At the moment I do have my personal data in a separated partition mounted in /DATI, for example: /DATI/Downloads, /DATI/Documents, /DATI/Videos, ...

So, should I change default directories such as /home/myuser/Documents, /home/myuser/Downloads, /home/myuser/Videos, ... to corresponding soft/hard links to /DATI/Downloads, /DATI/Documents, /DATI/Videos, ... ?
Secondly, will the above solution cause some trouble when dealing with Nautilus default bookmarks?

Thanks,
regards.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:19:17 pm

Never done that to be honest - another way forward might be to look at alternative file managers?

http://www.junauza.com/2012/07/best-alt ... s-for.html