This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] ZorinOS 6 LTS problems with latest updates

Cris70

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33:30 am

Hi all,
is anybody still using ZorinOS 6 LTS?

I started having problems after an update last week: Compiz is constantly crashing, the window manager seems not to be running (my windows do not have controls nor borders, titlebars, etc), I have a lot of screen artifacts... In a few words: Zorin is unusable now.

I am considering upgrading to Zorin 8, but before undertaking the challenge I'd like to know if anybody is working on fixing these problems.

Thank you in advance

Bye
Cris

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:13:29 pm

Hi Cris, have you tried the perfunctory remedies to see if they work?

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Keep us posted.

PS 8 is not long-term support - as a temporary measure you could disable compiz plus check your settings with Tweak-Tool (Gnome Tweak in 6 I think?)

Cris70

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:53:58 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,
thank you for your reply.

I've just tried issuing the command you suggested (sudo dpkg --configure -a), but nothing happened.

How do I disable Compiz? I tried launching Ubuntu Tweak (that's how it is named here) but found nothing.
Also I launched the Compiz Configuration tool and I was able to deactivate various effects, but I did not find an option to completely disable Compiz.

Thank you, Bye
Cris

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55:14 pm

Hi Cris, For compiz I would just uncheck everything in the main window with the exception of 'windows decoration' - if you uncheck that you could lose 'minimize, maximize, and close' buttons!

Have you tried re-running this?:

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Cris70

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18:00 am

Hi Swarfendor437!
I tried your suggestions and had no success, unfortunately.

At last I decided to pull the plug: I did a backup of all my data, formatted and installed ZorinOS 8.
I know it's not an LTS release, but I've already lost too much time in trying to fix ZorinOS 6. Time for doing an upgrade, when it will be necessary, will surely be less.

Thank you for your support!

Bye
Cris