This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can no longer boot Windows 8 nor get to UEFI

mvt

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:43:55 pm

On a brand new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.
I loaded Zorin 8, 32 bit alongside Windows after finally finding how to reach the UEFI to tell it to boot once from the DVD drive. (I did not disable secure boot.)
The install went smoothly, and on boot Grub shows Zorin and Windows.
Zorin boots and runs beautifully.

But if I boot to Windows 8 (or Windows 8 Recovery), the Windows Boot Manager screen appears and says "The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors."

Also, I can not find any function keys which let be back in to the UEFI.

Any help would be appreciated. This is on a friend's computer, and I assured her it would dual boot.
Thanks,
Mark

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:10:12 pm

Hi mvt, and welcome to Zorin! Can you boot back into BIOS and temporarily disable Legacy Mode and restart UEFI? Once you have done that you should be able to boot back into Windows 8 - I have not personally got any UEFI kit - My Windows 8.1 is on a different hard drive altogether.

Once you are (hopefully) in Windows 8, follow the advice from Gizmuntu here about power options (advanced settings):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6326&p=30025&hilit=Power+settings#p30025

mvt

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27:03 pm

[quote="Swarfendor437"] Can you boot back into BIOS and temporarily disable Legacy Mode and restart UEFI?

Hi Swarfendor437,
Using that as a clue, I tried searching for how to boot into the BIOS and found that the F2 button should do it, and yes, it did work.
Changed boot mode to UFEI and Windows 8 came up immediately.

So it is still unknown how to get this to dual boot... but good progress...
and I know I haven't destroyed her new machine.

Thanks,
Mark

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:00:29 pm

Hi mvt, Think I might have found something that I was thinking of 'Easy BCD' but only just found this excellent tutorial! :D

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-wind ... -linux.htm