This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Slow usb transfer rates

dweeb52

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54:39 am

Hi guys, I have been looking for an answer to this problem for a while now , without success
Every time I want to copy or transfer files onto a usb memory stick the transfer starts off reasonably fast but then gets slower until standstill then a few minutes later the file or files suddenly continue to transfer It can take about 10 - 15 minutes to get 1 gig from hdd onto usb This happens on all usb memory sticks I have
Is it the format of the receiving stick, the type of file or something that can be changed in zorin to streamline transfer rates ?
Thanks in advance

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:44:29 pm

I am not sure but guess it could be any number of reasons. How long have you owned the memory sticks? Just like hard drives, they don't last forever! ;)

Anonymous

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:57:41 pm

USB2.0 is slow period whether it be Linux or Windows.
Going from the hard drive to to the flash drive is the slowest.
Going from the flash drive to the hard drive is always faster.
USB3.0 is a whole different world relative to speeds > data transfer.
The bad thing > down side to USB3.0 is the $$$$ in front of it.
It will probably take another 3 years before the technology will be affordable for everyone to use.
That is something we'll have to deal with [ slow speed = data transfer rate ] until that day arrives.
Keeping a clean well formatted FAT32 flash drive makes a big difference in speed.

That's why I use esata capable external hard drives...they are faster than normal 2.0...still cheap enough and fast enough for large data transfer rates compared to 3.0 !!!!