This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8 on External

CG4Gaming

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28:52 pm

Hi.
I installed Zorin OS 8 on my external HDD today so that I could use it on other computers. My first problem was that once it was done there was the boot manager I had to get rid of so that it would go straight into Windows. It was a mission but I got that done. Now my problem is that now when I try boot to my HDD it either gives me the NTDLR error or just goes into Windows. :? Is there a way to be able to boot my external HDD without having to reinstall Zorin and have the boot manager there? I would just like to be able to boot to my external HDD whenever I would like to use Zorin.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41:47 pm

I've never used an external Hard Drive to run GNU/Linux from - only a thumb drive - I keep my external devices for data backup. I would guess that you need to make sure you install GRUB in the mbr of the external hard drive then just change the BIOS settings to reflect that you want to boot from an external drive first. This may well be problematical if you are expecting to use Zorin on your external drive with Windows 8.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500

CG4Gaming

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42:37 am

No I'm using it with Windows Vista & Windows 7 PCs.
I don't want to have to have my HDD plugged in when I want to use a PC's Windows. In other words, if my HDD isn't plugged in I want it to boot to windows without me having to select it in the GRUB boot manager. Then when I do plug my External HDD in, I can select it in the Bios.
I also tried using PLop Boot manager to boot to usb as my bios, although it has the option, doesn't feel like booting to usbs. But although I can boot to usbs now, obviously I can't use Zorin without the GRUB boot manager. Isn't there a way around this?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46:32 pm

I am sure there was a thread on here but I will have to look later as on lunch! :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28:31 pm

Here you go:

HI, never tried installing to an external drive at all as I tend to use such devices for data backup only. Follow madvinegars guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6159&p=29243&hilit=install+to+external+hard+drive#p29243

Be sure that you don't have any other external drives attached other than the one you want to install to.

An alternative might be this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6130&p=29137&hilit=install+to+external+hard+drive#p29137

CG4Gaming

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12:05 am

Ok great. Thanks man :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:58:25 pm

Just remember - NO GUARANTEES! and DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! :D