This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

dual monitor position

lostnow

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19:20 pm

I am using Zorin 8 live on a USB HDD for a trial before installing it on a PC.
My dual monitors have the secondary monitor on the left side (not the right side as most people) and when I relocate the monitors via software the primary moves to the left monitor ( should be secondary).
I have tried (1) System Settings -> Hardware -> Displays and (2) installed arandr, but both move the primary monitor to the left monitor.
Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 handle this arrangement properly, but I have not found a way with Zorin 8.
Graphics card is Nvidia GEFORCE GT630
Without making a change, I must move the cursor off the right side of the primary monitor to go the secondary monitor, which is actually left of the primary monitor. Works but confusing.
Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:58:20 pm

Please read this thread carefully:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1468925

lostnow

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18:30 am

I have gone through the ubuntu forums ref., ran xrandr in several ways (everthing seems to have an effect except changing primary) including printout of all the xrandr commands. Also, downloaded and installed nvidia software, which has not helped.
I don't understand why this doesn't work when Zorin is based on ubuntu (dual monitor setup in ubuntu 12.04 works properly)

lostnow

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48:20 am

I find it strange that on the same computer I have windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04, and Zorin 8.1.1 with all three booting and operating. Comparing Ubuntu and Zorin on the dual monitors, Xrandr will make all the changes in Ubuntu but will not change the primary monitor in Zorin. I have had the same drivers installed for both Ubuntu and Zorin.

When using Xrandr command to change the primary monitor, the system acts as if something overrides the request. All of the other Xrandr commands that I tested in Zorin worked the same as in Ubuntu.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:51:56 pm

I'm sorry but I don't use dual monitor setup - please PM AZorin and/or zorink - then they can look at it with their Devs. :D

lostnow

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:15:53 pm

Dual Monitors.png
Work Screen.png

The dual monitors shown in the screen shots are different brands and sizes. On the left is an analog input monitor (secondary) and the one on the right (primary) is digital input. This computer has a NVIDIA GT630 card with NVIDIA driver 304.116 and installed GUI for adjustments with Zorin 6.4. The driver and GUI were downloaded and installed using the Zorin included Synaptic Package Manager. The icons seen in the center are on the left edge of the primary (right) monitor and the application tool bar extends the full width of the primary monitor.

Several adjustments were made with NVIDIA GUI and saved to a file which is read on boot. Also the application tool bar along the bottom of the screen was adjusted starting from Dock Preferences > Awn Settings > Advanced. (Look closely at the second screen shot.) These monitors are not mirrored and work as one wide screen with the background picture appearing on both monitors. When a small application is on one monitor, clicking full screen will increase its size to that monitor - not the second monitor. Works nice to have help file on one side with the application on the other side.

As can be seen in the screen shots, they make a nice work area (combined 2960 x 1050 pixels)