This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

solved: Possible reason for reported partial upgrade issue

jojothehobo

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:57:35 pm

Hi All:
Some people have reported problems after performing partial upgrades, including me. The moderators worked most, if not all of them out. They also stated that they saw no reason why partial upgrades should be a problem. I think I discovered why I had my problem and why some other people may have a problem. It amounts to user error (for a change).

Here is what happened:
1. I booted up and soon after my Update Manager self opens with about a dozen updates that take up around 40Mb.
2. I recall that, if I select check for updates in update manager it often finds additional updates. In this case it found around another 15 updates and another 60Mb. While it usually just installs all updates, at this time and a few others, It also threw a pop-up saying that this will be a partial upgrade and not all packages will be installed. (loud alarm buzzing). I've been here before and even though It usually works out ok, on a couple of occasions it doesn't.
3. My conclusion is that I should not do the additional search for updates. The update manager is has its own programmers logic and threw up a dozen changes. The others would come in time, maybe even the next update.

To make a short story long, I didn't install the partial update and will accept what the update manager suggests without trying to "improve" it by searching again for additional updates.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?

all the best
Jojo :idea:

jojothehobo

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52:36 pm

Well this issue clearly isn't a major problem, but I'll close it with an update. I got a partial upgrade notice from the update manager. I decided not to accept it and wait. I waited a day, at most two, and lo and behold the update changed, no more partial. I clicked on install, the packages installed, and I was back on the road in less time than an Indy pit stop. My conclusion is that waiting an extra day or two for partial upgrades to become full upgrades is a truly minor problem. My system was working fine before and works fine after. Not too many people report problems with partial upgrades, so I suspect the issue was something I did. Still, I feel more comfortable this way.

There is one caveat. Most upgrades have to do with security issues and patching. In a corporate environment an upatched computer is vulnerable to exploit. How vulnerable depends on a lot of factors, Still, if I was in a corporate environment and had data I couldn't afford to lose I would do partial upgrades. On a personal or home machine I'll wait the extra day.