This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin update trouble

1985fiero

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:40:07 am

Hello,
I have been enjoying Zorin for about a year now and really like it. I have Zorin 7. Apparently the upgrades have stopped now. When I try to get new security updates and so on it says I have to upgrade to "Saucy Salamander". I have been ignoring that until today and decided to go along with the upgrade. Just before it was finished the power went out and shut down the computer. When I tried to start it back up Zorin will boot and show the white screen with the "Z" but when it goes into the next faze, the screen darkens and that's it. No desktop. I have tried some of the recovery options with no success.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get it back? I've lost my pictures, music and documents. Like I said it still shows Zorin on grub but it won't complete booting into the login screen.

jojothehobo

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27:31 pm

If you haven't activated the system restore function to go back to a previous version there is one option that I used that helped after a upgrade of the kernel made my system bootable but non performing. If you can boot to either live version or get booted someway then go to Synaptic and uninstall any kernels other than those you know worked, usually the one before the upgrade. Then you should be able to boot into the "older kernel". No guarantee, since I haven't done this with your type of error, but a suggestion.
Another option is to boot into recovery mode and see if you could fix your packages after you connect to the net. Wolfman has a great sticky on this, "Updating Ubuntu Software /Repairing Broken Files posted on June, 19, 2012. Check it out.
Jojo

jojothehobo

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35:52 pm

You might also want to check out this post regarding booting problem:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4805

Jojo

1985fiero

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46:49 pm

Thank you so much. I'll post back if anything suggested worked.

1985fiero

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:14:41 am

I have got the the weirdest problems I have ever seen. Somehow I restarted Zorin to find my old home page that I had thought I lost. Same wallpaper files and so on. Yippy! However I have no OS! Firefox will go online but none of the toolbar entries will work, there's no "X" in the righthand corner to shut it down either. Bookmarks don't work, it's like there's nothing operating behind it! There's no toolbar at the bottom of the desktop, no way to shut it down or logoff, nothing! What the heck?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:56:22 pm

Have you booted (assuming GRUB is intact?) using the 2nd option from the GRUB Menu (making sure you have a wired internet connection) and select 'dpkg'?