This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin8 ver Zorin6

david7307

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50:21 pm

what are the advantages of zorin 8 over zorin 6 bar LTS

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:51:29 pm

Personally, it is down to cosmetics. LTS means what it says - you don't have to keep installing the latest version. On Accessibility note the LTS is better as it has Orca - integration of the screenreader as either 'on' or 'off' is not good enough but this is not Zorin's fault - the fault lies at the Gnome Project's doors as even Fedora has the same interface as Zorin for switching system settings on and off and that is based on Red Hat! :(

david7307

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:49:36 pm

thanks for reply if its really only cosmetic, i will keep with 6 lts
and as far as what Orca is i have no idea if i use it or not LOL
I just see that a new kernel is on update today

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25:48 pm

HI David, Orca is the GNU/Linux alternative to JAWS from Freedom Scientific - it is a screenreader for those with a vision impairment. It was a project started by someone who had a vision impairment themselves and coded at Sun Microsystems (now taken over by Oracle) so I don't know what the long-term aspects are for this! Certainly the Gnome project has not 'included' it as fully as it should do. The only other difference I forgot to mention is obviously the kernel versions available for the newer version of Zorin are higher than that of LTS - they only go up to a certain level I think.