This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] installed ZorinOS 8 - boots to guest; no access...

Roygus

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47:51 pm

...to Internet or other drives. I really cannot do anything to modify the program.

I entered a user name and password on installation but I cannot access it.

Any help is appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24:54 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! Sorry you are having issues at boot time. Can you get to your user name if you press the up arrow on the cursor keys? It should show up then. Once you have logged in as the normal user, log out or reboot and your user name should be there by default. Other confirmations I need from you are that:

1. You did not use any capitals in your user name
2. You did not use spaces or hyphens or underlines or capitals in naming your machine
3. You did not attempt to encrypt your /home folder during installation.

You will not get access to internet or other drives as Guest as these are disabled by default for security reasons - just like Windows!

Roygus

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49:15 pm

Thanks for responding. I found some help elsewhere on this site that enabled me to get squared away. One must click on the empty space under Guest to choose the user account one created! I would never have figured that out. It is hard to believe this flaw in the interface continues being that it is well known. Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:28:14 pm

Hi, glad you are sorted friend! Will mark as [SOLVED]! :D