This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dropbox icon missing in system tray

tobyjwebb

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:28:24 pm

Hi all!

I'm using the new Zorin 8 OS, with the Win7 look (AWN), and there are certain icons which don't appear in the system tray. The one I'm missing most is Dropbox, although Skype doesn't seem to appear either.

Does anyone know how to make them appear? They did work correctly in Zorin 7...

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46:07 pm

Hi, please see this thread regarding Skype:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6486

and this thread regarding dropbox:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6450&hilit=+dropbox

tobyjwebb

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11:36 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, please see this thread regarding Skype:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6486

and this thread regarding dropbox:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6450&hilit=+dropbox

The instructions for the Dropbox are about making a launcher for Dropbox, but I want the System Tray icon which shows what Dropbox is doing (basically, I want to know if it's still uploading my files or not). As far as I know, a launcher will not do this. Thanks for answering, though =)

Oh, regarding the Skype issue (which as I said, doesn't bother me that much), I have a different problem than the one described in the other post. In the other post, at least he had the icon in the system tray. I don't. :'(

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27:47 pm

OK, What I was trying to allude to is that I believe it is an AWN Panel bug and 'indicator 3' applet does not improve things. I understand the 'notification area' that you could replace 'indicator 3' is no longer available thanks to whoever maintains the repos (Ubuntu?), and the 'digital clock' that was once available as a clock/calendar is also not there - you could see if you get any improvement by removing the 'indicator 3' applet from AWN Panel | Preferences | Applets and see if anything shows up then. Up until recently I was running Zorin 8 RC and playing with Virtual Box and MultiSystem which has it's own version included, managed to screw my install up. Currently responding on a defunct OS (PearOS 6 R2!).