This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Getting vbox extension pack to work for usb use

doblenski

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:51:57 am

I have windows 7 pro installed as a VM in virtualbox in Zorin 8 ultimate and I can not get access to my usb ports for thumb drives etc. I have tried to instal extension packs of the right type but keep getting error! How do I upgrade virtualbox with the correct and latest extension pack so I can use my usb ports in the windows 7 virtual machine?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:36:34 am

Hi, I have just experienced the same issue in Zorin 8 RC (in process of installing the ultimate final release). I would for now stick to the version available in the software channel. I am unsure as to whether my problem was caused by installing MultiSystem first which has Virtual Box embedded in it then trying to update to the latest. If the system states it is not a recognised package (because it has not been tested) then stick to what is available in 'Software Center' then go to the VirtualBox website and download the corresponding extension pack to the sofware channel version.

doblenski

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to install the relevant extension pack but it's not accepted and gives an error message, hence this is why I was looking to update both, still lost!

doblenski

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:22:05 pm

OOps, wrong extension pack, installed the 4.2.16 pack fine but got the following message: 'VirtualBox is not currently allowed to access USB devices. You can change this by adding your user to the 'vboxusers' group. Please see the user manual for a more detailed explanation.' So my obviuos question is , how do I do this?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21:18 pm

Not possible in Ubuntu I'm afraid - this is the 'old' style GNU/Linux it is referring to. I had similar issues with earlier version of Zorin (6 or 7 I think - not an issue in 5 as it wasn't needed).

doblenski

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:27:50 pm

FIXED: All I had to do was add myself as a user in terminal then insert USB device before starting VM and unmount it in Zorin, then into preferences in virtualbox, usb, add device and it appears. Add it then start VM and it all works... Ahhh success! Thanks to everyone who helped.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:31:38 pm

doblenski wrote:FIXED: All I had to do was add myself as a user in terminal then insert USB device before starting VM and unmount it in Zorin, then into preferences in virtualbox, usb, add device and it appears. Add it then start VM and it all works... Ahhh success! Thanks to everyone who helped.

Can you please explain how you 'added yourself as a user' for the benefit of the rest of us? When I tried to look at this in the past I got lost! (It used to be so easy! :D )

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:12:10 pm

OK this is how to add yourself as a user:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/USB

madvinegar

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:48:27 am

Everything is clearly explained in my guide here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2380&p=12617&hilit=virtual+box+virtualbox#p12617
(see step4).

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44:37 pm

Sorry madvinegar! :oops: Must make an effort to try and gather stuff together and make a new consolidated pdf! :D

Wirezfree

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26:08 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Sorry madvinegar! :oops: Must make an effort to try and gather stuff together and make a new consolidated pdf! :D

Odd... I have VBox running, with 2 guest OS working...
Also Extension Pack & Guest Additions working...
But I don't appear to have "Group" VBoxusers

What's going to stop working or break I'm now asking myself..??

Dave

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:49:40 pm

Hi Wirezfree, My post was due to the fact I had overlooked that madvinegar had already addressed this! My link was what I followed to sort me out! :D (and it worked - I can now get the USB peripherals identified - but I tried removing something to do with VBox and screwed my Zorin 8 RC install! :shock:

Wirezfree

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28:42 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wirezfree, My post was due to the fact I had overlooked that madvinegar had already addressed this! My link was what I followed to sort me out! :D (and it worked - I can now get the USB peripherals identified - but I tried removing something to do with VBox and screwed my Zorin 8 RC install! :shock:

Hi Swarfendor437,

O.K, but my comment was I don't have a GROUP called "VBoxusers"
VBox is installed and running, but will I encounter issues, for example when I plug in USB device to work with Guest.?

Should I add a GROUP VBoxusers, and then add me to it.??

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:33:46 pm

Hi - that link I posted explained how to do it in the terminal! :D

I had to do it to access usb wireless dongle and usb mouse!

Wirezfree

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22:33 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi - that link I posted explained how to do it in the terminal! :D

I had to do it to access usb wireless dongle and usb mouse!

Hi Swarfendor437,
I installed the referenced Gnome User/Group tool, and ticked myself....
Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:16:59 pm

Hi glad you are sorted - I just opened a terminal as per that website I posted and did it that way! :D

Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED] now? :D

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:37:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi glad you are sorted - I just opened a terminal as per that website I posted and did it that way! :D

Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED] now? :D

Hi Swarfendor437,

I guess the OP is sorted,
I appear to be sorted...
So I guess so :)

Thanks... Dave