This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

brand new here with a few questions

beachdude

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42:14 pm

I have done some searching of these forums with no results returned. I've read most of the topics on the first pages, clicked through and read most of the links. Fascinating stuff.

I'm a bit of an old-timer who cut his computer chops on a Commodore Vic20 and DOS 1.1. So I'm ok with a command line interface ... will be better once I get a firm handle on this one too. :)

I work in a Cloud Call Center with thousands of other Work-At-Home agents taking inbound calls for anything from P90X to Hurricane Sandy Donations and WWE PPV support. The company boasts roughly 30,000 agents these days. Many have aging systems and legacy hardware that, with the pending exodus of WinXP powered machines from the realm of viable automation choices, are left looking for options to continue to earn the income that many need and rely on. Most or many do not have the extra money to spend on new hardware. Enter me. :geek:

As a regular contributor to our company Tech Forum and with a background in telephony and skills-based call center technology, I began to search for an alternative to WinXP and Windows in general ... and ... based on my research, I have settled on Zorin OS8, primarily because of it's similarity to the Windows desktop. I have been playing on it for about a week and love it myself ... a lot! :)

Our inbound call center platform works well on Z OS8 too ... but there are a few things that are holding me back ... albeit I'm pretty sure only temporarily though. And this is where I could use some help and advice. For a small but important number of the older 'learning modules' in the call center onboarding and continuing education center we need IE8. I know, right? :roll:

After spending the weekend 'under the hood', I still have not been able to get IE to run well, either via P0L, Crossover or any WINE-type interface ... don't know another way to try as I'm unable to know even which version of Ubuntu ZOS 8 is derived from nor am I clear that even if I knew, I could choose the appropriate Ubuntu package and then install it or even if THAT would work if I did :P ::sigh:: I also need a version of Flash that works with IE.

So, for now, I'd like to know:

How can I get some IE iteration (8 or above) to run on ZOS 8 and what Ubuntu release is ZOS 8 based upon and does the appropriate Ubuntu software run on it?

There is also the Silverlight/Pipelight issue which I read about here, tried the install which failed ... probably because I pasted the install commands along with the colons into the terminal. Sooo ... I suspect I can fix that. :? I have tried to update my WINE but it continues to revert to the same version that came with ZOS 8. No clue why.

Here is the system I'm trying all this stuff on: hard-wired Compaq Presario 2017cl desktop, 2.8 gig Athlon 3800 single core socket AM2 (dual core on the way), 3 gigs DDR2, single 200 gig SATA HDD, 1 gig AMD graphics card (working fine) only partitions are what Zorin has put on there as I told it to wipe XP.

The drive initially had a protected partition (D:) for XP Media Center Pro and updates ... so I am uncertain if that may not be part of the issue with making IE8 run. Conflicts? Don't know. Any advice would appreciated. Looking to you folks ... thanks in advance. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22:32 pm

Hi beachdude, and Welcome to Zorin! First off I don't think that it is possible for IE8 to run on GNU/Linux period. ZorinOS 8 is a short-term release as it is based on Ubuntu 13.10. If you want long-term release then for the time being you should fall back to ZorinOS 6 as it is based on Ubuntu 12.04 which is supported 'til April 2017 - Not sure how long the LTS will be of Ubuntu 14.04 due out in April and Zorin 9 should follow 2-3 months after that. There was a GNU/Linux project called 'IExplorers' but it was only for testing purposes - there was no functionality. I use Serif Web Plus and host through them and they told me that the e-mail package requires 'silverlight' to run - but I have had no issues using the web mail package for my site using Opera 12.16 in Zorin 8 (I don't like any version of Opera after this and you can download it from Softpedia.com. Under quick preferences you can get it to be identified on certain sites as Internet Explorer but I am not sure if it is what you are wanting. Flash was only supported on the GNU/Linux platform up to 11.2 or thereabouts - there are equivalent 'add-ins' for Firefox and Opera. If you need all the codecs then I would recommend two excellent applications that contain most if not all - VLC (Video Lan Converter) - available in the repositories either via Synaptic Package Manager or Software Center, and SMPlayer from here:

http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/

If I have missed anything, please get back to me! :D

Oh yes, Wine - I suspect that Wine will only work up to certain releases with Zorin, or perhaps I should phrase it as, that only certain packages might be allowed on so as not to break the installation, but I could be wrong! :D