This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to get rid of AWN?

maccabbeo

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:58:04 am

Hi to all.

AWN is annoying me too much with continous crashes and plugin failures. I'm sending crash reports each time it is requested, but the situation is always the same.
I want to get to a stable situation but I wish I could avoid what happened to me as described there http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6486#p30941 (the system rebooted but showed a black screen after plymouth, unable to interact with the system).

Anyone already uninstalled AWN on Zorin 8? How? What did you install then?
Before replying/suggesting, please make me clear whether you first tried it by yourself with Zorin 8.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56:26 pm

I haven't removed AWN (not got round to installing Cairo Dock yet on Final of 8 (I screwed my RC install with messing with MultiSystem and VirtualBox - removing certain packages and the whole system went a bit 'doolally'.

What I did with the RC (Release Candidate) of 8 was to leave AWN in place at the bottom with Cairo-Dock at the top in Zorin DE. Then I would tend to boot into Cairo-Dock DE which did not have the AWN panel present.
The theme I used the most was the one in the wall I created here:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=163358

Also used by the unique spin of OzDiamond-II B 64-bit which very sadly did not get on with my system as it was geared towards Intel rigs - well my take on it anyway!

maccabbeo

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:24:34 am

Not sure whether I got the point.
Is it safe to remove AWN and install another dock in Zorin?
Will AWN be the default dock in next releases of Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:07:46 pm

You could install 'docky' or 'Cairo-Dock' and then for the sake of not crashing your install, move the AWN panel to the top of the screen and set to auto-hide if using Docky in Zorin DE. If you login to Cairo-Dock DE from the cog at login I don't think you should get AWN showing in Cairo DE - just installed the final release of 8 Ultimate so I will try and do a video tutorial and let you know the link once done. :D

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:09:54 pm

Hi,
I just installed Cairo Dock but I just do not know how to set it as default dock. I found how to do it in Ubuntu, but cannot find the same options here in Zorin. How to do it? Thanks.
Regards.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48:38 pm

HI, your best bet, now that you have it installed, is when you get to the login, your 'cog' on top right, click on it and you should now have 'Cairo-Dock OpenGL DE' to boot into! ;)

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58:09 pm

I saqw the cog and clicked on it. However just one option is set and it is Cairo related. However I stll cannot see any cairo dock running at startup

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04:10 pm

Hi, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
cairo-dock

This should launch it and there is a setting somewhere to make it launch at next login - think it might state something about 'open-gl' - make sure you click on the tick.

A bit concerned that you only get the Cario option and not the Zorin (with effects) and Zorin [without effects - can't remember the wording] I am in Win 8.1 at moment and still got to install Cairo-Dock again - router is up and down and have bought a new one - been a busy evening! :D

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13:26 pm

Not only that: I have "automatic login" set to OFF but I do log in automatically... so no way for me to set that option at login time. The only way I could do something similar is logging out, but I just see one option on the cog

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03:42 pm

Could I ask a favour? Could you create a second account with a password and see if you get the options on the cog then? :D

maccabbeo

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02:26 pm

I created a new administrator account. Firstly I found the cog with just one option. Then after switching clicking on other user names to se whether they could have a cog with more options I got back to the new user account and the cog even disappeared! Please see attachments.

By the way, the other users also had a cog with one option and the cog disappeared when getting back after clicking on other users.

Last but not the least, despite all the users have the automatic login option set to OFF I'm not shown any login screen. The login screen of above is the one I get when closing the current session.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15:28 pm

OK I can see one thing wrong straight away with that top screenshot 'SuperMan' should be 'superman' - GNU/Linux will not accept account names with capitals - is this how you created your own account? I would advise backing up your data and doing a fresh install and abide by:

1. No capitals in username
2. No hyphenation of computername (even if the installer does that!)
3. No encryption of /home folder at point of install.

maccabbeo

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20:53 pm

Thanks for your advices. However please note that "SuperMan" is just the new user while the old one is "mano".
However you are right: I've not been able to log in as SuperMan.

So, I'm sure you agree the SuperMan user is not the problem since it has just been created...

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50:54 pm

Correct! I am puzzled though how you can autologin even though not set to autologin - I think the install sounds a bit suspect, but I could be wrong! :D

maccabbeo

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:39:35 pm

Well, I just cannot imagine how can an install cause such faults. Taking into account all the problems I've been experiencing till now as a recent user (I think a couple of months more or less) I just think Zorin is still not ready to be shown as a real alternative to Windows. I'm a Linux user since 2006 and I can do imagine how such things can annoy any other Linux user as well as I can do imagine how such things can scare users who want to get rid of windows having as a side effect their getting back to windows immediately.

Some extremely important suggestions in order to make Zorin better:
1) get rid of AWN, it is too buggy. Just a simple "task bar" is ok, like in gnome2
2) get rid of that "file" file manager. Dolphin is much much much much much better

As for the rest of the remarked problems (see the rest of my threads) I just do not know what the problem could be.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03:06 pm

Hi maccabbeo, I am sorry I cannot be of more help - I have had a different experience to yourself. Personally, people who are changing would be better installing Zorin 6 as it is Long-Term Support until April 2017. On older kit that will not support 6 I would opt for Trisquel 6 (LTS) or LXLE (Lubuntu LTS) both until April 2017. :D