This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Teamviewer tray icon does not appear in AWN

Cris70

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53:33 am

I am having a problem (another one) with AWN in Zorin 8: when I start TeamViewer the tray icon does not show in AWN, instead it shows in a window of its own.
Anybody else seeing this?

Bye
Cris

p.s. It seems to me all the problems with AWN are due to the indicator 3 applet.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07:35 pm

Hi, I would agree with you on that one. I have got the Ultimate version and Skype comes preinstalled (I know you are talking about teamviewer I am just relating a similar issue reported by maccabbeo) and in Ultimate the Skype icon appears in indicator 3 applet but does not show what you would normally get in Windows (off-line, Available, Away) etc and not sure if this is a 'Skype for Linux' glitch or not. I hope to be doing a Kazam capture of post install modifications like I did for Zorin 6 on my veoh.com channel - stay tuned! :D

Cris70

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:34:27 pm

Swarfendor437,
I agree with you.

I have the same Skype problem as maccabbeo. Moreover, I have another PC with Linux Manjaro and Skype is working perfectly on it, even showing off-line, available, away statuses, so the problem is not in Skype itself.

I chose Zorin for my wife's PC, because she was a Windows user. We are both satisfied with it, the only real problem I see is with AWN.

Bye
Cris

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23:37 pm

I wonder if you dropped back to Zorin 6 you would still have the same issue - noticed zinzan has done this and all his issues with 8 seemed to have disappeared! ;)

Cris70

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33:09 am

I did not have the problem with TeamViewer on Zorin 6,
However, I already had the problem with Skype tray menu.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:10:45 pm

Must have responded on a different Skype thread - the 'online, away etc' as these show 'scroll like' but only once you have signed in.

Cris70

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:04:30 pm

Ah yes, but I'm not referring to that problem.
I was referring to the problem where the menu does not appear when you click on the tray icon.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05:36 pm

I will try and install teamviewer and get back to you. :D

Cris70

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:52:09 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I will try and install teamviewer and get back to you. :D

Great, thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:34:06 pm

't was a busy day yesterday - I will try and do this evening at home! ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:23:17 pm

OK, I have done a video but I need to edit out the bits that show my machine number in teamviewer! ;)

Can show you a screenshot of Teamviewer icon in my panel for now though!

Teamviewer.jpg

OK, it was tricky to do! When I launched 'Team Viewer 9' (32-bit as 64-bit is known not to install!) I had to right-click the icon that appeared in the panel and then select 'Create Launcher'. To do this I had to send the menu item to the desktop as a shortcut ('Create Desktop Shortcut' after right-clicking Menu icon for teamviewer):

TeamviewerPropertiesCommand.jpg

I then 'right-clicked' the desktop shortcut and selected 'Properties' which presented the image above - then copied the highlighted command into the Application Launcher dialog box:

11.png

To change the icon from 'Application Launcher' to teamviewer took a bit of searching but I should have paid more attention to the 'command' which gives the clue! Go to the root file system and look for the 'opt' folder, then teamviewer9 | tv_bin | desktop - and therein is the teamviewer.png! :D

Cris70

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:41:21 am

Swarfendor437,
the problem is not the launcher, but the TeamViewer icon in the tray.
However, I am almost sure that I installed the 64bit version.
I will post some screenshots and some more details in the evening, as I am not near the Zorin PC now.

Thank you for your help btw.

Bye
Cris

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10:06 pm

I have 64-bit so went for that but have seen numerous postings that it will not work on Ubuntu 64-bit and suspect that is your problem. No issue whatsoever using 32-bit - but you obviously got further than I did! ;)

Cris70

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09:21 am

Hi, here is the screenshot. As you can see the tray icon is not in the tray, but instead it is in a floating bar of its own.
Unfortunately I have been unable to determine if it's the 64bit or the 32bit version of TeamViewer.
I'll try to uninstall it and install the 32bit one when I have some free time.

Thank you!
Bye
Cris

Anonymous

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36:43 am

Just install TeamViewer .deb on ZOS8 64-bit via GDebi PzAckage Installer from Software Center instead of installing using Software Center.
Works Perfect...all icon's are on taskbar instead on desktop.

Here's the 64-bit .deb file link : http://www.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_linux.deb

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:01:30 pm

Hi Gizmuntu, I did try using Gdebi in ZOS8 64-bit Ultimate and it refuses to install due to reports elsewhere of a dependency named 'lib322asound2':

http://askubuntu.com/questions/427709/t ... ll-problem

I have no issues with 32-bit so surprised that you and Cris70 managed to install! :cry:

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03:32 pm

Cris70 wrote:Swarfendor437,
the problem is not the launcher, but the TeamViewer icon in the tray.
However, I am almost sure that I installed the 64bit version.
I will post some screenshots and some more details in the evening, as I am not near the Zorin PC now.

Thank you for your help btw.

Bye
Cris

I know you don't have a problem with the [menu?] launcher - but if you follow my tip of creating a desktop shortcut first, you can then create a new launcher from scratch and just copy the 'run' command in the properties dialog to create one that sticks in the tray! ;)