This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 8 XP Look Questions

rstuff

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20:13 pm

I have been checking out a lot of distros and I like Zorin because it looks like what I have been using. I installed Zorin 8 and used the look changer to make look like XP look but I still have some issues.

1. How can I add programs to the taskbar? I tried drag and drop, right clicking on the program but there is nothing about pinning.

2. I was able to make the scrollbar wider but how do I get the scroll up and down arrows in the scroll bar? The arrow up and down keys on Toshiba laptop are small and hard to hit.

3. I don't have any favorites. When I right click a program and select make favorite it does not show up anywhere. How do I fix?

4. How do I check for updates?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42:44 pm

rstuff wrote:I have been checking out a lot of distros and I like Zorin because it looks like what I have been using. I installed Zorin 8 and used the look changer to make look like XP look but I still have some issues.

1. How can I add programs to the taskbar? I tried drag and drop, right clicking on the program but there is nothing about pinning.
Firstly, right-click any app in the menu and select 'Create Desktop Shortcut'. Next Launch the application and an icon will appear in the tray (left side and to the right of what is already there. Go to the icon that is highlighted on the taskbar and right-click and select 'Create Custom Launcher'. This will open a dialog box and you will need to know what the 'run command' is - now right-click the desktop shortcut and select 'properties' - for example, the command for Firefox is 'firefox %u' - enter this in the 'run command' box and save the changes. You now have an application launcher in the taskbar! :D

2. I was able to make the scrollbar wider but how do I get the scroll up and down arrows in the scroll bar? The arrow up and down keys on Toshiba laptop are small and hard to hit.
Sad to say I don't think this is possible but you can use the 'up' and 'down' cursor keys if you select the main window by left-clicking it.

3. I don't have any favorites. When I right click a program and select make favorite it does not show up anywhere. How do I fix?
This will depend on which menu you have installed - for example, if you choose the 'iTheme' you will get a menu with sub headings and favourites in the Window to the right fo same - I think this also applies to 'Kore'

4. How do I check for updates?

There are two ways to do this:

1. From the Menu - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Update Manager - then click on the 'Check for Updates' button.

2. Open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and eneter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

rstuff

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43:02 am

1. When I right click on the icon in the taskbar for Firefox I don't get a create custom launcher option. I get a popup window that has Minimize, Unmaximize,
Move, Resize, Always on top, and close. I did right click on the Firefox ball. If I right click on a blank spot on the taskbar and select preferences and then the task manager it opens AWN Settings. In AWN Settings there is a launcher for Firefox.

2. I miss the scroll arrows. I didn't like the Windows 8 look so I was trying to get the XP look using linux.

3. I went to System Tools, Preferences, Tweak Tool, Themes but I did not have an option for iTheme or Kore. There were a lot of themes and I changed to the Simple theme but I still don't have any favorites. When I right click on Firefox in the drop down menu and hold the right click I see another drop down window that has an option to remove Firefox from favorites. As soon as I let go of the right click the drop down menu with the option to remove from favorites closes.

4. Software Updater updated Ubuntu.

Thank you for your help.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:05:04 pm

Hi,

Just to make my self clear:

1. You create a desktop shortcut first - right-click from the menu entry to do this, then launch Firefox from the desktop which creates an icon in the tray (I can feel a video tutorial coming on! :D )

2. The only way to get the XP look is to install GnoMenu, separate to ZorinMenu (will post back later with the link or check out my vimeo channel on how I customised Zorin 6 after install!)

3. I was talking 'Menu' themes, NOT OS themes. Right click the 'Z' and select 'Preferences' - use the drop-down arrow at the end of the Win7 menu in top pane to see the other Menu styles! :D

4. Correct! :D

rstuff

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13:28 pm

1. I really did create a desktop shortcut for Firefox, opened Firefox, and clicked on the icon for Firefox in the tray at the bottom of the screen but I did not have the option. It is like it did not see the icon because I get the same options when I clicked on the Firefox words in the tray. When I go into AWN it tells me that taskmanager needs to be running. How do I start taskmanager and tell if it is running?

2.I tried installing GnoMenu from the command line but I got the message "Unable to locate package gnomenu". It wasn't in the Sofware Center either.

3. When I looked at menu themes I saw the iTheme and Kore theme. When I tried installing the Slab theme it opened up something like a filemanager but I didn't know where to install the theme.

Thank you for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:23:27 pm

I have just posted 'Removing Chrome and creating Firefox shortcut then launcher on my vimeo account:

https://vimeo.com/89178141

[Still processing at time of posting!]

Will do another video on menu themes shortly! ;)

Anonymous

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:12:18 pm

I made a couple of new menu's that can be used for the XP look !!!!

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6149&start=30

rstuff

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:47:54 pm

Thank you. I was able to pin it when using the Windows 7 look.