This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

install problem

YinFu

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59:14 am

I successfully installed Z8 32 with no problem. When i install Z8 64 on the same computer (I5/8GB ram) i cannot get many apps to open, i.e. chrome, gparted, synaptic. Also cannot install apps. Live disc works fine. Any suggestions before i move on to another distro?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58:04 pm

Did you check the md5sum after download? Did you burn at slowest possible speed? If you have a Windows machine I always use imgburn and nothing else - you have to manually select 1x if your burner supports it. :D

YinFu

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10:11 am

i used 2 different usb drives and 2 different downloads. MD5 checked. Anyway, it works perfectly as a live disk so I don't think a corrupt iso is likely.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you check the md5sum after download? Did you burn at slowest possible speed? If you have a Windows machine I always use imgburn and nothing else - you have to manually select 1x if your burner supports it. :D

zinzan

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:38:25 am

You said you have checked the iso, but have you checked the burn to dvd? I cannot recall how to do this as I usually install to hdd via a flash drive using YUMI: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25:46 pm

I have had issues with trying to install Zorin educational on some Notebooks (6.1) and the installer crashed. To be honest I prefer installing by DVD - not had much luck so far - used Trisquel and Zorin 6.1 Core DVDs in the end! :(

YinFu

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:04:31 pm

i did not use a DVD. I installed by flash drive.

I'm a longtime gentoo and Arch user.I was looking at Zorin as a transition for introducing windows friends to linux.
Thanks for the help but I think I'll move on to a less problematic distro.

YinFu

>Re: install problem

>by zinzan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 pm
You said you have checked the iso, but have you checked the burn to dvd? I cannot recall how to do this as I usually install to hdd via a flash drive using YUMI: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/
Re: install problem<

>>by YinFu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 pm
i used 2 different usb drives and 2 different downloads. MD5 checked. Anyway, it works perfectly as a live disk so I don't think a corrupt iso is likely.<<

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:36:10 pm

I think that USB programs have some catching up to do! No problems with DVD so seems a bit silly to drop just because it won't install via usb! :(