This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin menu

hoglie

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:05:34 pm

This may seem like a small thing but I installed zorin on two computer that were using xp and for some reason on the menu popup one it has the power and log out buttons while the other does not. Not the biggest problem in the world but still a little strange. Can this be fixed?

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27:11 pm

Hi hoglie, and welcome to Zorin forum!

Could you provide us with a little more information please?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

hoglie

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:59:41 pm

Sure can, first of all I am really liking this OS. Well when you click on the menu button and it opens it has the acc. games ect on the one side and home folder document. pictures links on the other side at the bottom just below the help link there are the power and log off buttons. Well on the second machine it appears to be cut off just below the help, and the power and log off buttons are not there. I hope this helps some.Like I said not the worst problem in the world, but it just seemed strange.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:57:21 pm

Hi, I am guessing that the menu has 'slipped' behind the panel, is that correct? I think it could be a panel issue. Have you tried right-clicking any blank part of the panel, selecting preferences and changing the pixel depth?

hoglie

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:16:32 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply I had eye surgery and had to stay away from the computer for awhile. What seems to have happened is there is a black line on top on the panel which cuts off the the bottom not allowing you to see the the power or log out buttons. If I move the bar to the top of the screen it cuts part off the top and if you move it to the side it cuts off part of the side. Not to sure to go from here.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:54:05 pm

Hi,

what graphics card do you have?.

hoglie

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41:00 pm

Well there are two computers I'm trying to install on a Dell dimension 1100, and a acer aspire T325, they both have integrated graphics. I thought this might be the problem but wasn't sure.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:20:40 pm

Hi hoglie, hope you are recovering well from your surgery! :D

Can you see what happens (when you are feeling better) when you enter at boot time, if you are using Zorin 6 press the 'e' button on your keyboard to edit the boot parameters and enter:

Code:
forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset

If running Zorin 8 you would press the TAB key and enter the same code. :D

hoglie

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:02:52 pm

I am using 8 and when I tried hitting the tab button it just went on and loaded normally, I may be doing something wrong.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:45:56 am

Hi,

the "Tab" key is located on the left above shift lock, are you pressing the correct key? as it shouldn't continue booting after pressing tab but should show the "Grub Editor!.

hoglie

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49:50 am

Alright now do I hit the tab key before or after enter? Sorry for being such a nob by the way.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:05:42 pm

Press the TAB key to enter the code and after you enter the code, press the Enter key! :D

(We have all been noobs in all sorts of different situations at one time or another, so no worries! :D )

hoglie

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00:42 pm

Sorry nothing seems to work, but on the upside I just realized that if you hit the username at the other end of the bar you can shut down from there which is all I needed to be able to do,so I'm good lol. Thanks for all you help and patience I really appreciate it.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:14:12 pm

Hi,

first you were talking about boot problems and now you are talking about shutting down using the user menu on the right of an installed(or live) system, what is it you want to do?.

Please tell us exactly what you are doing as I am now confused!.

hoglie

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:43:21 pm

I'm sorry if I confused you, on the installed system there is a black line on the top of the tool bar at the bottom of the screen and when you click on the z icon on the left side the pop up list is cut off right below the help link so as you can not see or use the shut down or logout links.I then realized if you go to the other end of the bar on the right and click on the user name you get another shut off link which will work just fine. Again I'm sorry if I confused you and hope this helps some.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:24:53 pm

Hi,

seems to me that you have something missing, you can use the force update command and see if it fixes the problem, open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

The above command will install any missing dependencies, restart after use!.

hoglie

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27:55 pm

That did not work, I re installed it completely and it did the same thing.Could it be a video card issue? I put it on a newer computer with an after market video card and it worked fine. I think I know where I can get a video card that will work with it so I might put it in and just see what happens, can't hurt.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25:11 am

hoglie wrote:That did not work, I re installed it completely and it did the same thing.Could it be a video card issue? I put it on a newer computer with an after market video card and it worked fine. I think I know where I can get a video card that will work with it so I might put it in and just see what happens, can't hurt.

Hi,

like you said, it won't hurt and at least you know that the copy of Zorin works on other PC'S.

Let us know how you get on and if you choose an Nvidia card, take a look here first:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490