This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin not closing programs before shutdown or restart

jmp1963

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:26:02 pm

My first post so please be gentle with me!

I installed Zorin 8 64bit a few days ago and am pleasantly surprised by the advances that have been made in user friendliness in many of the Linux distros. Well done to the team! I grew up on BASIC, Z80 Assembly, DOS (from about 5.0) and then Windows (all incarnations up to 7). A couple of my PCs are still on XP and as you all know end-of-life is upon us, hence the switch (dual boot at the moment) to Zorin. Background over - on to my problem.

Whilst setting up one of the PCs to look, feel and act similarly under both OS's I installed Firefox and a few other programs such as XBMC and began to customise Zorin. I obviously had several tabs open whilst reading up and was dismayed to find that they all kept disappearing with no session to restore even though I had told Firefox to restore tabs and groups upon restarting (and no, I hadn't instructed it to clear any history etc!). I installed session manager that dutifully informed me that Firefox hadn't shut down properly but I knew it hadn't actually crashed. It was then that it occured to me that it happened every time if I rebooted or shut down the PC without closing Firefox first. I then tested it with XBMC with the same result. Is this normal behaviour? Is anyone else experiencing this?

I know that historically it is safest to close any programs manually before shutting down the OS so as to avoid data loss but after years of Windows use and being able to simply shut the PC down and letting it take care of any open programs it will be a hard habit to break particularly for other members of the family.

My specs are: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ × 2, 2Gb RAM, Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 (Radeon HD 4200), 128Gb Hard Drive.

I've used Software updater which informs me I am up to date - any ideas anybody?

JMP

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13:48 pm

Hi jmp1963 and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D I too have noticed similar behaviour with Firefox. I do have it installed because it is quicker at somethings but it has been slow to load pages (27.0.1) and so I have returned to my trusty Opera 12.16 - which resumes where you left off and has a nice 'clone tab' facility which 'Firefox' does not have - a great help for my moderating work! :D

Never thought about shutting down without closing applications first - guess spent too long using good practice on earlier versions of Windows, but I can see where you are coming from. The spec of your machine looks up to speed. If you want a long-term solution then you should really look at Zorin 6 or wait for the next LTS (Long Term Support) which should be version 9, expected 2-3 months after the LTS release of Ubuntu 14.04. :D

jmp1963

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58:48 pm

Hi Swarfendor437 - Thanks for your speedy response and thanks for the suggestions.

I'm definately going to stick with Zorin even though it means re-educating the rest of the family to remember to close all programs before shutting down, but TBPH it's usually a case of suspending the PC rather than shutting down anyway and it seems to resume ok.

It was more a case of: is anybody else experiencing and has managed to fix it or is it just me? Either way thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

JMP