This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Security questions re using Wine.

zinzan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:15:56 am

Hi to All,

1. I have activated PlayOnLinux (in Wine), with a view to eventually using some small windows programs in Zorin. In doing so, have I increased my susceptibility to viruses that may effect the system?

2. When I get to the stage of using a Windows program or two in Zorin, do I need to run an anti-virus program for these perhaps one or two small Windows programs?

3. I imagine that as activating PlayOnLinux activated a number of exe files, that it will 'provide a home' for a Windows virus or keylogger or some such that will 'cause problems' when I use my credit card number on (https) websites. How close to the truth am I here?

I do not use online banking and as a 'refugee from XP' am concerned about using my credit card on websites with Linux (Zorin specifically) with some exe files activated, and without an av program.

I hasten to add that I do not want to go back to using av, and would prefer to reinstall Zorin if that is the only way to get my machine exe free (ie in a state that I don't need av).

Advice would be appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08:46 pm

Hi zinzan, the main need for AV is really to prevent passing email attachments that could contain .exe files etc that could damage a windows users machine. One issue that is cross-platform are 'rootkits' - this is malware that takes over your machine without you knowing it and using it as a portal. You may wnnt to install chkrootkit on your machine:

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install chkrootkit

Useful guide here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_chkrootkit_portsentry

You should be ok for online transactions provided you keep your security up-to-date - and keep everything private by following advice here!:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6479

zinzan

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35:17 pm

Thanks muchly Swarfendor. I have done as you suggest.