This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot connect to internet with Google Chrome

rockerdude1959

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32:06 am

Hi I have installed last weekend Zorin OS 8 Installed perfect except I cannot get Google Chrome to connect to the Internet. I have a Compaq Presario SR2180NX please help with this matter. Thank You.

madvinegar

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47:09 am

Its only with Google chrome that you have the problem? Have you tried with Mozilla Firefox?

Or is it that you do not have internet connection at all?

warrior-priest

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04:03 pm

I don't know about him, but after upgrading from Zorin 6 to Zorin 12, which connected to the Internet without fus or fiddling on my part, now I can no longer get connected with either Google Chrome, Firefox, Software Center, etc. even though the network icon at the top right says I'm connected.

rockerdude1959

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43:59 pm

I have Time Warner Cable 10mb. Thanks will try Firefox when I come home from work today.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:34:53 pm

warrior-priest wrote:I don't know about him, but after upgrading from Zorin 6 to Zorin 12, which connected to the Internet without fus or fiddling on my part, now I can no longer get connected with either Google Chrome, Firefox, Software Center, etc. even though the network icon at the top right says I'm connected.

There has not been a Zorin 12 released yet! :?

warrior-priest

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24:37 pm

You're right! So, ok, that showed how new I am to linux/ubuntu/zorin. The System Settings > Details window shows "Ubuntu 12.10". I installed Zorin 6, then received notification that there was an update. I just glanced at it, quickly noticed the number "12", assumed it was Zorin 12, then just as quickly clicked the install button and everything upgraded perfectly... except internet. I even added the IPv4 address I located through my router, but to no avail. Still can't connect.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:47:12 pm

Hi, I think there was an issue with 6 in that there was a chance that you could break your install if Update Manager settings had 'Update to latest edition of Ubuntu' was checkmarked - this should be set to never - can you please check this setting? Thanks.

Anonymous

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58:39 am

I had same problem when I tried to upgrade Ububtu 10.04 to 12.04. The internet connection looked to be connected to internet and to be ok. , but when I tried to connect to some internet site it said "can not connect to the server". So there was some problem with uprgading the os. on the old one. What I did was that I formated the HD and made a clean installation of 13.10 and internet started to work without any problems with Chrome and Firefox browsers. Don' t know what the problem was but this was the solution.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:20:31 am

I did a brief browse on this the other day and it is something to do with a corruption of "nm" - network manager. Something you may want to download for future installation are the ndiswrapper packages and their dependencies:

20.png

ndiswrapper-dkms and ndiswrapper-source are the two packages that are not installed by default - I need these for my Netgear WNDA3100 wifi dongle to work - all the other packages listed are a requirement for ndiswrapper-dkms to install correctly.

You can download packages without installing - so worth giving it a try in future.