This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] sign in and internet connection

jerry B

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:17:32 am

I replaced XP with Zorin 8 that I downloaded from internet and put on a disc. All went well, I tried things then downloaded and replaced XP. When I start I put in name and password. When I start it from hard drive, it comes up with guest or my name. I login by my name with password and it loads. It still shows me as guest no matter what I do. I tried to download new updates, it gives me a list and downloads. When I try to install it says Not Authorized. The internet says it is connected but when I try to connect with Chrome or anything else it will not connect. I booted from the disc and internet works tryed to download but it says download will be lost at install. I reinstalled Zorin but did not correct the problem. It looks like a wonderful program but of no use if I cannot update or get on internet. Please help.
Summary
Put in name and password loads still as guest from hard drive.
No out going internet but incoming works.
All work when booted from live disc.

This is a used laptop and was setup and owned by someone else. I deleted most programs but did not delete windows setup by previous owner and always signed in as a guest but I would think the new OS would delete that .

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51:41 pm

Hi jerry B and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

Zorin will only replace XP if you selected the option to remove what is there and replace with Zorin entirely.
When you get to your login screen, press the up arrow (cursor keys) - this should highlight your username to login with - which will have full rights! :D

Keep us posted!

jerry B

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56:05 pm

When I installed Zorin I told it to replace XP. When I go to login with password and login it still signs me in as guest. When I open and click on Switch Account noting happens, when I click on my name it brings up login I put password in and it reloads but guest is still signed in so only guest features work, no internet out going but internet in.

jerry B

Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:26:36 am

Reloaded and set program to auto login and eveything works now .

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:07:52 pm

OK glad you are sorted - what about updates when it asks for password? This may be an issue with autologini - whilst you are logged in I would create a second account with administration rights in case you come unstuck with autologin! ;)

jerry B

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:14:09 am

It asks for keylock password on every update.Passwords I put in let me access.

tomax7

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:43:31 am

jerry B wrote:Reloaded and set program to auto login and eveything works now .

Short of reinstalling with auto login, what is the alternative if one chose login with password? I can't seem to find how to access the admin account as in SU and then asks for a password.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55:02 pm

Create a second account with administrator rights! :D