This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wifi Not Working - Broadcom 4322

Greenpalmer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05:48 am

Hi there

Like a lot of people I have been spurred by the end of life of XP to try Linux and after trying many distros Zorin is definitely my favourite.

One problem though - I just cannot get the wifi to work - I have a Broadcom 4322 dual band wlan card and it doesn't appear to be recognised by the system.

First I tried the two suggestions in the FAQ, but the first one of using the install additional drivers function caused the whole system to crash, and when I rebooted I found that it had wiped out all connectivity including ethernet, and I had to reinstall.

I then tried the second one of installing the Windows driver but that failed saying that the Ndis wrapper was not installed when it clearly was.

I then had a good look through the forum and found that many people had similar problems with various Broadcom cards so I tried using the commands that seemed to have solved the problem for some other people:

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe b43

but they don't fix the problem for me - still no wifi even after reboot.

So - any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

madvinegar

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07:32 pm

Can you please post back here the results of:

lspci -nn | grep 0280
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Greenpalmer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27:18 pm

Hi

Output from first command:

03:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43222 Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4350]

Output from second command:

*-network:0
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:12:3f:e0:c9:bb
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.0.10 latency=64 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:18 memory:dfcfa000-dfcfbfff
*-network:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Network controller
product: BCM43222 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 3
bus info: pci@0000:03:03.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=64
resources: memory:dfcfc000-dfcfffff

No output received from third command.

Thanks for your help.

madvinegar

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:20:11 pm

I have searched the net and in order to get your card working it seems we have two solutions.
We either try the wl driver, or we use ndiswrapper.

Lets start with the easy option. (Load the proprietary wl driver). Plug an ethernet cable to get internet, and then in terminal give the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo modprobe -r wl
sudo modprobe wl

Wait 10 seconds and then check the network manager to see if you can connect to networks. A reboot may be needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If, and only if, the above does not work, we can use the windows wireless driver.
First of all, download all the necessary packages for ndiswrapper. Open synaptics package manager from the Zorin Menu, and find the following packages and mark them for installation. Then click "apply" to install them.
Code:
ndisgtk
ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
ndiswrapper-source
ndiswrapper-dkms

Now that we have installed ndiswrapper, you need to download the windows driver. I have searched and found the one you need (hopefully).
Download it from this link. (copy and paste the link in your browser's address bar):
Code:
http://download.wireless-driver.com/driver/Broadcom/broadcom_bcm_51009142.zip

Unzip it. Inside you will find some folders. Follow the path: XP > Driver > x86
Inside the folder named "x86" you will find some files, one of them is named: bcmwl5.inf
This is the file we need. Leave it as it is. Just remember how to get there.
Open ndiswrapper (windows wireless drivers), click on "install new driver" and then navigate to the file bcmwl5.inf that we mentioned above. Select it and click "install".
Your wireless should start working.

P.S.: I have written a detailed guide about ndiswrapper. You may want to have a look. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5008&p=23910&hilit=ndiswrapper#p23910

Greenpalmer

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09:20 am

Hi madvinegar

You are a genius!

The first method you suggested - loading the wl driver - did not work, in fact it crashed the system and I had to reinstall.

However the second method - using the ndis wrapper and the Windows driver - worked perfectly and I now have a fully functioning wifi connection. I actually used the Broadcom 5.100.235.19 driver rather than the one you found as I know from trying different Broadcom drivers when I originally installed the wlan card under Windows that this was by far the best driver.

Thank you very much for all the time and trouble you have taken to help solve this problem.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37:25 am

Another 120 blue jewels to madvinegar! (I wonder what the 'blue jewel' exchange rate is with Bitcoin! :lol: )

madvinegar

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:25:58 am

Greenpalmer wrote:Hi madvinegar

You are a genius!

The first method you suggested - loading the wl driver - did not work, in fact it crashed the system and I had to reinstall.

However the second method - using the ndis wrapper and the Windows driver - worked perfectly and I now have a fully functioning wifi connection. I actually used the Broadcom 5.100.235.19 driver rather than the one you found as I know from trying different Broadcom drivers when I originally installed the wlan card under Windows that this was by far the best driver.

Thank you very much for all the time and trouble you have taken to help solve this problem.

Glad I helped my friend. To be honest, after a search I made, all of the people with your card have managed to get it working only by using ndiswrapper.
It's just that in theory your card works with wl driver, so I thought to give it a go.
Good for your that you used the driver that you knew would work best.

Enjoy your wireless surfing! :D

wschip

Tue May 13, 2014 7:38:13 pm

Glad I helped my friend. To be honest, after a search I made, all of the people with your card have managed to get it working only by using ndiswrapper.
It's just that in theory your card works with wl driver, so I thought to give it a go.
Good for your that you used the driver that you knew would work best.

Enjoy your wireless surfing! :D

wl driver worked for me. Thank you for the helpful post. :D