This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows XP Look - Classic Luna

Wirezfree

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02:48 pm

Hi,

I have an idea how themes work.
Is there anyway to make it really look like XP.?
Like my classic look, that I have had for years & years. :)

winxpdt.PNG
My XP Desktop

Thanks - Dave

madvinegar

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28:21 pm

On two old laptops at work I have installed linux mint (mate) with the winXP look... Can you tell the difference...?? :) :) :P
I used the winXP4life theme.: http://winxp4life.tk/#linux

Wirezfree

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:35:19 pm

Hi madvinegar,

Thanks...
That looks really good... But
The million $ dollar question,
Can I do that with Zorin 8..??

madvinegar

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:39:25 pm

You can always try!
If you don't like it, you can revert back to Zorin Look.
Use a program like "ubuntu tweak" to make the changes. http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Wirezfree

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27:33 pm

madvinegar wrote:You can always try!
If you don't like it, you can revert back to Zorin Look.
Use a program like "ubuntu tweak" to make the changes. http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Hi,

I have already installed Ubuntu Tweak, Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
It only allows to change existing Zorin Themes, no option for others.?

Thanks... Dave

madvinegar

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:37:59 pm

You can do it manually if you like.
In your home folder there must be two files.
One named .themes and the other named .icons (note the dot in front of them). The dot means that they are hidden files. In order to view them you must press ctrl+H.
If these folder do not exist, create them yourself.

From the link I gave you download tle LunaXP tar.gz file and unzip it.
Inside you will find two folders (amongst others) named themes and icons. Inside each of them there is a file called Luna.
Copy and paste each of these Luna files inside the .themes and .icons hidden files located in your home folder. Be careful to place the correct luna file inside the correct .theme or .icon file. i.e. place the themes/luna file inside the .themes and the .icons/luna file inside the .icons

Now open ubuntu tweak and change the theme and icons to luna.

Inside the file you downloaded there is also the wallpaper of winXP.

Wirezfree

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:42:11 pm

madvinegar wrote:You can do it manually if you like.
In your home folder there must be two files.
One named .themes and the other named .icons (note the dot in front of them). The dot means that they are hidden files. In order to view them you must press ctrl+H.
If these folder do not exist, create them yourself.

From the link I gave you download tle LunaXP tar.gz file and unzip it.
Inside you will find two folders (amongst others) named themes and icons. Inside each of them there is a file called Luna.
Copy and paste each of these Luna files inside the .themes and .icons hidden files located in your home folder. Be careful to place the correct luna file inside the correct .theme or .icon file. i.e. place the themes/luna file inside the .themes and the .icons/luna file inside the .icons

Now open ubuntu tweak and change the theme and icons to luna.

Inside the file you downloaded there is also the wallpaper of winXP.

Hi madvinegar,

That all worked fine, looks very good, except two minor issue.
The Start Menu Button is incredibly small, like 10 X 15 pixels.?
Right click on it, edit menus does nothing.?
Any ideas..??

Thanks... Dave

madvinegar

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:31:56 am

Have you downloaded the winXp start buttons offered by the link I gave you and then replaced the zorin menu button with one of them? http://winxp4life.tk/#linux

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31:20 am

Nice work madvinegar! I have been playing around generally, trying (and failing) to change the look of 'indicator-applet3' (I have also discovered I still need this when using Kazam as it will not show up in docky - will be getting round to installing Cairo-dock soon and hope to do a video for the benefit of maccabbeo and others.

I have discovered this though in the repos and now have a windows classic feel to app windows etc.

Gtk-ChTheme.jpg

03.png

and this:

Theme Configuration.jpg

04.png
04.png (22.82 KiB)

;)

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:36:38 am

madvinegar wrote:Have you downloaded the winXp start buttons offered by the link I gave you and then replaced the zorin menu button with one of them? http://winxp4life.tk/#linux

Hi,
Yes, I saved the Start Button icons in the folder with the Luna Icons.
I just don't seem to be able to find where to select a "Start Button" icon.?
I have just a "Standard Windows" Flag where the Zorrin Icon was.?

Cheers... Dave

madvinegar

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:53:16 pm

You right click the zorin button on the panel > then go to properties and I suppose that there must be an option in there. I do not have my zorin laptop with me and i cannot check at the moment but give it a try.

Wirezfree

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48:22 pm

madvinegar wrote:You right click the zorin button on the panel > then go to properties and I suppose that there must be an option in there. I do not have my zorin laptop with me and i cannot check at the moment but give it a try.

Hi madvinegar,

No option to change button.?

But on that panel it still says:
[Main Panel] = Zorin OS
[Icon Selection ] = Zorin OS

Should they be pointing at Luna.?
If yes, is using the install.?
Point at the Luna folders under .themes & .icons

I changed the the settings in Ubuntu Tweak,
I currently have the XP Luna look, just Start Menu Button is wrong.?

Thanks... Dave

madvinegar

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00:39 am

In mint (with mate DE), I just point the menu icon to the start button icon.png that I downloaded from the winXP4life.tk website.

In Zorin:
Right click > Start Button > Preferences (not Dock Preferences) > Button Selection > Install > then point it to the XP button image.

Wirezfree

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23:10 am

madvinegar wrote:In mint (with mate DE), I just point the menu icon to the start button icon.png that I downloaded from the winXP4life.tk website.

In Zorin:
Right click > Start Button > Preferences (not Dock Preferences) > Button Selection > Install > then point it to the XP button image.

Hi madvinegar,

Really odd, there is "no" option for button
the only options:
[Main Panel] = Zorin OS
[Icon Selection ] = Zorin OS
[Sound]

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34:28 pm

Hi Wirezfree, If you want a menu with full functionality, you can also install GnoMenu as in Zorin8 the menu has been really locked down. I managed to install GnoMenu after I installed Cairo-Dock. In 7 and 8 GnoMenu got renamed as ZorinMenu and is part of the Zorin packages in synaptic (that is enclosed). I have not tried installing GnoMenu on its own - will try tonight if time permits! :D

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

Wirezfree

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wirezfree, If you want a menu with full functionality, you can also install GnoMenu as in Zorin8 the menu has been really locked down. I managed to install GnoMenu after I installed Cairo-Dock. In 7 and 8 GnoMenu got renamed as ZorinMenu and is part of the Zorin packages in synaptic (that is enclosed). I have not tried installing GnoMenu on its own - will try tonight if time permits! :D

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

Hi,

I can live with the "Windows Flag" Start Menu...
When I installed the Luna Theme, I selected the Theme & Icons in Ubuntu Tweak.

However, When I right click start menu,
Everything on that page is still Zorin, and the drop downs do not list Luna
So should I have used the install options on that page to install Luna Themes & Luna Icons.?

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:38:07 pm

Hi, I think you need to ask madvinegar that one - like I said, 8 has been locked down even further by the Zorin team - even with GnoMenu installed I can only get the 'Gnome' foot icon to install even though there are plenty others (I suspect it is also partly because GnoMenu was written for Gnome 2 and not 3! And remember, madvinegar has had the success with Mint, not Zorin! ;)

Not had time to see if I can install the theme on here tonight - may have to wait until weekend! I am very tired! :D