This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Making the "Big Move" - 1 question on Disks/Partitions.?

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:55:52 pm

Hi,

I'm still very new to Linux,
But have made the decision to move from just using it on my Laptop to putting it on my main PC, "NOT" dual boot.
I have probably tried 5/6 distros, and I'm pretty hooked on Zorin. So to my question.
I have always removed all partitions, created new ones and started fresh with each distro, but only 1 disk in my Laptop.
My main machine's got 2 disks, so following the same path.
During install select "other" for disk set-up
1. Remove all partitions on disk 1 and 2
2. Select disk1, create partition table.
3. Select free-space and Create / root and mark this as mbr/boot
4. Select disk 2, create partion table.
5. Select free-space and Create the /swap and then /home

Then proceed with install,
install will recognise the 2 disks, and the correct partitions.
Have I got this right..?

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49:26 pm

I would say it depends on how big the hard drives are - having '/' on one drive seems an awful waste! You could have Zorin Core on one and Zorin Educational on the other drive! :D

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would say it depends on how big the hard drives are - having '/' on one drive seems an awful waste! You could have Zorin Core on one and Zorin Educational on the other drive! :D

Hi,
Disk 1 is relatively small SSD , 64GB
My plan is to install Zorin 8, and retain free space for next release, which I believe will be 9 and LTS.?
Then I can have dual boot, tinker/play/test in 8, and use 9 for real stuff.

Do I have my steps disk prep steps correct.?

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:40:06 pm

Hi Dave, Based on your intentions I would use the 64 Gb just for 8 partitioned thus:

20 Gb '/' Primary formatted to 'ext4'
Create an extended Partition of the remainder of the drive and at the END of the drive create your swap area equal to your physical RAM but no less than 4 Gb.
Create '/home' at the BEGINNING of the extended Partition.

Your second drive could be used as a Data drive - you could format this to FAT32 on a temporary basis.

Alternatvely, Create '/' as you stated, with 'swap area' at end of the 64 Gb leaving your second drive for '/home' only.

DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you have backed up all your data you have nothing to lose at the end of the day! Keep us posted! :D