This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to save Zorin and programs settings when upgrading ?

Totolanio

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:57:18 pm

Hey,

As I'm asking for quite a lot of help to tweak Zorin to something near Windows 7 (as I switch from one to another almost everyday ^^), I am a bit afraid of when time will come to upgrade to Zorin 9.

How will I be able to save ALL the customised settings like :

- changes to Nautilus (filemanager), like custom hotkeys, and others settings
- compiz settings
- all the Zorin settings
- and for the programs like Gimp Mozilla etc... I can just transfer the files

I mean, where can I found them (for programs I know they are in /home/user/.config so no problem, it's even easier than on window when you know it !)

Thank you :P

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26:55 pm

Hi Totolanio, Wolfman wrote an excellent guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Also see his response on the topic raised by someone else here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6411&p=30511&hilit=upgrading+to+newer+version#p30511

It would be great if the devs at Zorin could deploy the system that Trisquel use for their roll-up they deployed from 5.5 to 6 (LTS)! :D

Totolanio

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07:07 pm

Well I know how to do that (thanks to guides and your answers !)

But all the CONFIGURATIONS FILES are stored in "/home" ??

I used a new debian distribution before Zorin and the developer told me that, but once I upgraded and saved my "/home" it bugged as hell so he told me "wtf with /home, you should backup your data instead of keeping your /home as some config files are also in "/" or something like that.

In "/" I will lose only programs and have to reinstall them, right ?

Otherwise I don't know where all the configs files are stored.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44:12 pm

To the best of my limited knowledge, the config files are .dot files - to see them, press 'Ctrl+ H' when you have your '/home' folder open. Whilst having a browse to see if there is anything else, stumbled on this:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/purgeconfig-–-a-safer-way-to-reset-configuration-files.html