This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin access to files created under Windows XP

Mainframer

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:57:45 am

I have an Acer Aspire One Netbook I use for travel with nothing heavy or complex on it. its OS is Windows XP. April 8 is coming closer so I want to get off XP. Installing Windows 7 is too expensive. Looking around I came across Zorin and find it intriguing and worth a try. I am NOT well versed in Unix, Linux nor Zorin. I have mainly been a mainframe software tester/programmer/analyst with exposure to mainframe (IBM) based Unix and Linux systems. My main test tool language is Rexx (TSO/E or PC) and to a lesser degree shell scripts.

Before I install Zorin I would like to know a few things about it so I am not totally lost :? .
    1. Can Zorin 8 access data files I created under Windows XP? i.e. files in the Windows partition.
    2. Can Windows created files be copied/moved into the Zorin partition?
    3. For special applications (i.e. not office type apps) It looks like I would have to re-install the apps. Correct?
    4. Do all the Zorin created files automatically reside in the Zorin partition?
    5. Is network connection setup similar to Windows?
    6. Is it correct that the Zorin partition (min 5GB) needs to be big enough to hold not only the OS but application executables and data files?
    7. I downloaded zorin-os-8.1-core-32.iso and burned a DVD. Windows upgrade assistant said I needed a 32 bit Windows 7 so I assume that 32 bit also would apply to Zorin. Correct?
    8. Is there or will there be a Zorin User's manual?

Sorry if I have too many questions but I haven't been able to find the answers yet by Googling the questions :oops: .

Thanks,
Jerry

Anonymous

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49:24 am

I try to give some generic answers to your arised questions

All Windows data files can be accessed and/or moved or copied from your Windows Home directory to Zorin.
Zorin can access the NTFS (Windows) formated partitions. The data files can also be ready to use "as is" with some
Linux/Zorin application like MS Office files using Libre Office applications or picture files can be edited using GIMB and so on.

You can run Windows software in Wine. It is a compatibility layer program in Linux to run .exe files. It is not
100% compatible with Windows and it depends on witch software you want to use, how good it works. Best solution here
is to find a Linux replacement for Windows software from the wide selection of ready installed software in Zorin or from
the Software Center. If Wine is used all Windows software that needs to be installed to run, have to be installed there
like in Windows.

The network setup procedure is similar to the Windows. Ethernet cable and wireless USB adapter installations
worked for me "out of the box", Internal WiFi could need some driver additions or chances to get working. There are in
Forum good "How to's" and Help to do that if needed.

To make a partition for Zorin os. it should be bigger than 5Gb to be able to add some software or store some
files to that partition. Depending how much you have need to store data files you have to have space in that partition too.
My minimum suggestion is 40Gb to 50Gb for that partition if used also for data storing. An external data storage device
connected to USB port can be used to store the data files if not enough space in the HDD.

Depending on your system architecture you can use either 32bit or 64bit version of Zorin os. I believe that 32 bit
is the right one if your Windows was 32 bit version. You can check this from BIOS or some system basic data. 32 bit
version can be used also in 64bit architecture but not vice versa. You can get better performance out of your computer
using 64bit version if having a 64bit architecture on your computer.

This Forum includes lot of valuable information related to installation, customization and use of Zorin.os.
By reading these instructions in advance before installing, you can avoid getting totally lost with your new os.
I don't believe that there is or will be any additional "User Maual",

Before making an installation here are some basic alternatives how to do it. I assume that you want to keep
the Windows still there so you are planing to make a dual boot system so, that there are both Windows and
Zorin os.es available. If you want to make a light version of dual boot you can also use a USB drive to use
Zorin os together with Windows. In that alternative you don't need to make any new partitioning to your HDD at all.
You can still use all your Windows data folders when running the Zorin.

If using the USB live installation in persistent mode it can also keep all settings over shut downs to the next
start up. That is also the most safest installation not to do anything that stops the Windows to work. This could be
the easy way to start using Zorin and go to full installation according to the learning curve later.

Hopefully this frustratingly long list of answers was however helpful and triggered a "go" to further actions
to try and use Zorin os.
:D

Mainframer

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. Yes, I want to do a dual boot. I may use the USB approach to a lite version as a sort of test drive. Although this may preclude creating a partition does it require an install on the hard drive? Also, one thing I forgot to ask was about having two or more User Ids with file permissions customized for each user id. Can this be done?
Thanks
Jerry

Anonymous

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:56:09 am

USB approach do not need any install on the hard drive. Only installation is to make a bootable
USB from the selected .iso file. A persistent os. installation to USB can be done following this guide
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6585 in the Forum. When having a USB with installed os.
Zorin can be started by selecting that as (first)boot device from BIOS.

Depending on the manufacturer of that BIOS software, there are slightly differing styles to select the
boot order. In some you only select the device from the list and hit "Enter", in some other you have to change
the boot order by changing that the USB device is the first in the list. In the old BIOSes the default is
first CD/DVD then Internal HDD and then the additional devices. In the newer the first device is the
internal HDD.

If using a newer (new) computer there might be a UEFI installed operating system like Windows 8.
There the settings to boot from a USB device is more complicated. There you have to go first to UEFI boot
settings to enable Legacy boot and disable Secure boot before you can go to make the boot order selection
and start the os from USB (or DVD).
There are some more detailed "How to tutorials" to make those setting
changes done. UEFI settings menus vary also from one manufacturer to an other, where to find it, F8, F9,
F10 or somewhere else?

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with the file permissions customization possibilities for different users.
In the full installation Zorin os. offers a possibility to use guest session where the access permissions to
the os. are limited. Also some storage devices offers security features to get a limited access to the data
using passwords. A combination of these might solve your need to permissions customization. There
might be some more advanced methods available if someone could only help in this issue.

"Selecting a Linux os, there is a way to do it :roll: , just find it" :idea: :o

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:11:48 pm

Hi, When you create a User they can be either set as 'user' or 'administrator' - go to System Tools | System Settings | Users and then press the '+' at the bottom left of the screen to add a user then click on the field where the user type is listed to look at the options available.