This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

External drive corruption with Zorin Lite 7.1

Zorro

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23:25 pm

Hello all,

I am having an "odd" problem trying to connect an ext4-formatted Seagate Expansion Desktop 4TB to my Zorin Lite 7.1 powered computer. Basically, every time I do it, the drive gets mounted read-only, and when I run fsck, I am told that the drive has errors and needs to be fixed. I then have it fixed, and re-running fsck confirms that. Then I restart the computer (or unmount/unplug/replug) and voila, the problem is there again. Very frustrating.

As far as I can remember, the same setup worked fine with Zorin Lite 6.X. Plus, I can also access the drive just fine via Paragon ExtFS and Windows, and any information I read indicates that there is no problem with the drive hardware-wise.

So by logic, it would seem to me that the issue is somewhere within Zorin Lite 7.1. Has anyone experienced similar problems with this OS, and if I am right, which parts of the OS would I need to upgrade in order to fix the problem? Kernel? Any particular drivers?

PS: And on a different note (since I am already typing this), there is a small annoyance which has remained unfixed ever since Zorin Lite 6.X: You can disable networking very conveniently via the task bar, but after it is disabled, that option is gone. To reenable it, you have to go via the BIOS.

Thanks as always for providing this software for free!

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:14:02 pm

Hi Zorro, Zorin Lite, both 6 and 7 is no longer supported (end-of-life) and I am currently not running any Lite versions. If you want a long-term Lite distro then I would currently hop on to LXLE.

http://lxle.net

I've been having similar issues in Zorin 8 Ultimate - udisks2 errors! :(